License Plate Restoration

bonno5id

• 1 year later...

Restoring license plates to put on your classic or antique car is great! But, being a long time collector of license plates I can say a restored plate or even one that is touched up severely degrades the value. There are many methods of cleaning a old plate, the hard core guys daub them with distilled water and a cotton swab. Originality is everything.

I certainly appreciate the comment.I'm new in the forum and will always accept comments and advice. You are right, however, I find that it's a toss up or personal preference on whether to restore or not restore. I have a great following, repeat customers, new customers and the like. Here in Michigan, I really have no problem with restores. I do them for a lot of classic car owners and collectors and have three perpetual customers in Arizona, New Mexico and Connecticut. I don't collect plates but if it doesn't sell, I'll have a nice collection to sell from!

I have several cars with YOM plates here in Oregon. They turn down restored plates. They want original in acceptable condition.

They photograph them before they can be approved.

However I have restored a few after they were approved.

I have several cars with YOM plates here in Oregon. They turn down restored plates. They want original in acceptable condition.

They photograph them before they can be approved.

However I have restored a few after they were approved.

Here in Michigan Jack , restores are allowed. They are only concerned about the colors and how close they are to the originals. They want to see the plate. I've had people register mine and have never had a problem. Like everything else, it depends on each individual state .

I have been very pleased with license restoration done by Gerald Thiele, 10965 Center Dr, Vernon, TX 76384. Phone 940 552 2038. I can send you photos of his work if you'll send me a PM with your email

Archived