86-93 Riviera Door Glass Sweep Felts Belt Molding Sealing Strip R & R Help

Guest turbofish38

Guest turbofish38

I need some help. I don't have a FSM and I'm too lazy to download it from one of the sites. Anybody know how to change out the outer door glass sealing strip on a 86-93 Riviera? These are the rubber type strips that scrape on the edge of the glass to keep water out from inside of the doors. Some of you might know these as fuzzies,felts,etc. On every GM that I have owned you can loosen the lower glass stop bracket so you can get to all of the screws that hold on the sealing strip by letting the window drop down into the door with out drilling out any rivets or removing any other parts. All you need to do is line up the bolt with the scratch marks on the door, when you are done and everything is back to the way it was when the car rolled off the assembly line. No worry about the glass being out of adjustment. And here is where my problem is. There isn't any stop on the door that I can see. All I can see is a rubber block on the bottom of the door and even with that removed the window wont roll down enough to get to the screws at the top. Now it's a good thing that I pulled my replacement part off a door from a car in the boneyard so I got a chance to experiment on it. I ended up having to drill out the rivets that held the window regulator along with removing both the front and rear window channels. I had to remove the glass from the regulator to get it to drop down far enough to access the M4.2 Torx head screws that hold it on to the door. I really don't want to do this to the door that I plan to use on my 90 Riviera. Anybody done this or know how to do it? :)

Thanks,Eric

1989 Riviera/Reatta service manual... section10-5-7 Outer belt sealing strip..... REMOVE trim panel, trim panel retainers, glass, screws 3, retainers 2, sealing strip.

Based in the limited information and illustrations it appears you must remove the glass to get to the 3 screws that hold the sealingstrip to the door. Then there are 2 retainers one on each end that look like they come off by going straight up. The rubber strip is attached to the trim at the top of the door.

The parts book is not much help in giving additional detail.