Grinding from second to third 1937 Zephyr

oldstyle

First, I don't have any experience with manual transmissions. The transmission seems to grind between 1st and 2nd at times. I wonder if the clutch isn't disengaging enough. I bought the Reference book but I didn't see any adjustment for this. With the engine off, it shifts right into second fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

i would say Your Synchronizer needs some Attention ..1st gear is not Synchronized but 2nd and high is ,it's likely the sync. ring or you might want to make sure there's no Play in the linkage or the shift levers on the side of the Transmission ..Mr Peecher what say You on this Problem ?? You might have to learn to "DOUBLE CLUTCH",Just Kidding..CH

Your synchronizer clutch is probably worn and double clutching is probably a good idea until you get it fixed. After 1937 Ford and Lincoln used a different type of unit with blocker rings and what would happen over time and useage is that the bronze "blocker rings" wear to the point where that they don't grip the main drive or the second gear. When the synchro is working like it suppose to you can shift quick and silent. Not sure how available new/rebuilt synchro clutches for this eary Ford/Lincoln transmission are?

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

The BW OD is a bit fragile, sometimes they will slip from 2d to neutral if synchros are bad. You can try depressing the clutch, putting lever in high, then back to 2d to get other synchro involved. Does it squeak? bad throughout bearing could allow incomplete disengagement of clutch.

Abe

To add to what others have said:

First, I'm going to assume you've got tranny oil in it up to the fill hole ;) I originally rebuilt my '37 with the stock transmission synchronizer setup for my year and did not like it. I then rebuilt the transmission with the '39 internals and was much pleased with the improvement (any old Ford website can fill you in the differences between the early synchronized tranny and the much improved version that came out in '39). Beyond the limitations of the '37 style internals, it sounds like your clutch may need a little adjustment. With the car parked and the engine off, you should be able to press your clutch pedal down about 2 inches or so before you really start feeling the springs engage. As your clutch wears, this distance will be less. If you think you need to make an adjustment, I can walk you through the process, it's not that hard.

And just to reiterate what others have said, since your 1st gear and reverse are not synchronized, make *sure* you are *completely* stopped before engaging these gears (if you're really good at it, you could get these gears while rolling slightly, but I wouldn't press your luck with an old tranny). Good luck!

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

Thanks for the reminder about the oil. I do remember that and the pedal adjustment in the book. Ill be checking on both as soon as I can get some time off work.

Ill be extra careful with 1st gear. I definitely don't want to cause any damage.

Thanks,