Sign in to follow this  
TNtc

Leather Repair

Has anyone had their seats repaired? I have been quoted a price of $150 to repair both the drivers seat and arm rest. Was told it would look good and come with a warranty (what ever that means any more). The Cadillac dealer uses him and his work looks ok. Just wondering how long something like this last, and will it look even worse after a period of time.

I grew up on a car lot in a car selling family and when you grow up around it you learn a lot about appearance reconditioning, so here's the scoop on dealer quality leather repair. Some of the stuff that's done for that kind of money is great looking permanent work and not knowing what your seat problem is it could be all you need, look fine and last a long time.

For $150 it's not a permanent fix for the common problem drivers seat outer side panel hole and it will look worse 6 months of use from now. Don't know what you have going on with your arm rest, so a little surface work and spray dye might be all you need. I have the hole in my drivers seat and I will be doing that hole this winter. I won't know until I try if I can fix it myself without having to sew in a new leather seat panel, my seat had the patch job that looks good for a few months and then looks worse, because of the way it was done I might have to send it out to replace the piece of leather. If I can save the panel I will post pictures and instructions.

If you have the hole on the upper outer side of the drivers seat it needs to be under patched, or new leather panel sewn in for real repair and that doesn't happen for less than two bills.

Just to let you know what the real world is about. The former owner has purchased the replacement leather some years ago through the Club. So the replacement leather came with the car when I purchased it in 2011. This past spring I found a leather worker to redo both seats and the console cover. It took about a week and at a cost of $1,000. Now I have a showroom condition interior It was well worth the expense. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Member #1533

Just to let you know what the real world is about. The former owner has purchased the replacement leather some years ago through the Club. So the replacement leather came with the car when I purchased it in 2011. This past spring I found a leather worker to redo both seats and the console cover. It took about a week and at a cost of $1,000. Now I have a showroom condition interior It was well worth the expense. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Member #1533

That's pretty close to the going rate to re-skin in this part of the country and if you hadn't had your own skins you'd have spent a 1,000 more.