Sign in to follow this  
rocky5517

gas additives and ethanol

In my 67 with the 430, (in NJ) and driving about 1000 miles a year, should I be concerned about ethanol gasoline?

If your carb hasn't been rebuilt with ethanol resistant gaskets and your fuel lines haven't been changed, then yes, you might have some cause for concern. If you only drive 1,000 miles per year, you're going to experience a lot of evaporation from the bowls of the carb.

Will check w/ carb man to see if he used ethanol resistant gaskets. We changed the fuel line from the pump to the carb.

Much thx.

Sam

If it was recently rebuilt, I'm sure that he probably did unless he found an NOS kit to use. When you're talking with him, ask him if he sealed the plugs at the bottom of the carb. On the Rochester Q-jets, those have a tendency to leak down. I would imagine that with the ethanol, they're that much more prone to leak.

I don't think the '67's came with an electric fuel pump, but on these old cars that don't get driven all that often, it's not a bad idea to install one. Turn on the ignition and wait for the electric pump to refill the lines and carb bowl before you start grinding away on the starter and waiting for the mechanical pump to pull the gas from the tank and fill the carb. Lots of rpm's with little to no oil pressure.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure 1969 was the first year for the electric fuel pump for Riviera. If stock, 1967 would be mechanical, like my '68.

If you read the fine print on the websites almost all the "ethanol" fighting additives they will tell you that their product will help prevent metal corrosion but not prevent degradation to older plastic/rubber parts in the fuel system.