Sign in to follow this  
Tom_S

36 Buick vent window help

While I have my doors partially apart, I thought I might look in to replacing the rubber seals around the vent widows. I thought it might be a somewhat simple removal, however it is proving not to be. I have loosened the gear box and the metal track screws that hold the rubber. I cannot get enough movement to take the top window hinge pin out and thus remove the window. It appears I have to remove the entire lower board that holds the window mechanisms, door latches, diagonal brace, etc. Anybody know any thing I am missing or tricks?

Also, many parts are riveted together. Are there flat headed rivets out there and a tool to replace them. Seems that pop rivets wouild have too big a head to work in the places.

Thanks,

Tom

post-86558-143142247691_thumb.jpg

post-86558-143142247694_thumb.jpg

Tom,

The upper hinge pin as well as the lower hinge pin are riveted to the chrome vent window frame - I would not at all consider messing with those rivets. You are absolutely right that you will need to spring apart the metal frame that holds the rubber. The vent window comes out by pulling it down far enough to clear its upper socket. With the gearbox and frame loose from its mounting board, you could possibly remove the old rubber below the window and get the clearance you need but you'll just face a bigger problem installing the new rubber and having the clearance to reinstall the vent window. Do you know for certain that you cannot spring apart the metal frame sufficiently to allow the top of the window frame pin to clear its hold? If it were me, I might even be caught removing some wood to allow clearance. You only need about 5/8" to get that pin out of its hold. Another thing you might try is to leave the upper two frame screws in place while you pull down on the gearbox.

If the above doesn't work, I'm afraid that you're left with is what you already suspect. That is, you may need to free up at least one end of that main board to allow for downward clearance of the gearbox shaft. That would mean that you'd have to remove the diagonal brace. I wouldn't go messing with the latch or window mechanism until it was obvious that you couldn't get clearance any other way.

Good Luck!

I wish my memory were better. I did this a number of years ago and I think I ended up taking the lower board out so that I could then drop the whole vent. Getting it back together and all lined up again was a challenge.

Jeff