'36 Dodge Paint Coding Question

jpage

Just received a build card for my early (Dec. 19, 1935) Dodge sedan. The paint code is missing the tops of the last 2 digits but looks like 8.05 or 8.03. I did receive some info on the colors that correspond to these code numbers but they don't match the color on the car. The color, a light green poly,( thinking Avon Green) seems to be the original paint because it appears inside the door structure and in obscure places a repaint would not reach. According to the codes this car should be either Mercury Metallic or Gunmetal Gray and I don't see any other code numbers close to a match for any green color. Also there are no codes for the spring and summer colors listed. Does anyone know of any paint charts showing chips of the special colors. Can't figure out the discrepancy! Another enigma, the body number on the car does not match the Chrysler paperwork but all other numbers do match. More questions than answers!!! Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jim

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

The "800" series were grey colours while the "300" series were greens.

The 803 and 804 were Gunmetal in 1936 while 805 was Mercury Metallic. 302 was Avon Green Metallic, 320 was Archer Green Metallic (Spring colour) while Palm Green Metallic was 301, 317 and 318. 317 and 318 were also Spring colours.

Your car may have been "restored" by replacing the body. A not uncommon way of using a good body on a decent chassis and powertrain that has a rusted and/or destroyed body. Placing convertible bodies on sedan or hardtop chassis is the most common

switch.

I don't think that this car has ever been "restored or had a body change although that thought had crossed my mind. I bought it from a local man who owned it as a teenager in the early '60's and it shows no evidence of ever being apart. It did have some primer and different colors sprayed on it when I got it but only on the outside. There are many original paint samples inside the car's body and under the tailamp brackets, the tailamps themselves and on other body parts. All original ID tags are present. I don't know if the original paint would fade that much over the years and especially under areas covered by the upholstery, but who knows! Thanks for the info Jim

No, there was no punch card. I don't think they used a punch card in '36. I am pretty sure of the code on the card but the discrepancy lies in the difference between the color of the code and the actual color on the body.

That's curious. You wonder how a mistake like that could get through, especially in the paint dept. Mistakes do occur; I ordered a new Chevy p/u in 1976 with a stepside box and it was delivered with a fleetside box! Some one goofed! This was a local car so I'm going to check with the old dealership and see if they have any archives;doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

I went to check the body in question and am convinced that the paint does not match the code number. There is too much original paint left on the inside sail panels, door and body structure to be anything but a green color and not Mercury Metallic. Some of these questions may never be answered so now I just have to concentrate on finding the correct color match.