Engines, Transmissions and More

Packard Don

I am planning a trip to my workshop just north of Terrebonne, Oregon in an unincorporated area and have available an assortment of Packard parts, mostly postwar and mostly mechanical, including at least one R11 overdrive transmission, several Ultramatics, manifolds, several 327cid engines including one rebuilt, flywheels, cranks, manifolds, steering gearboxes, bell housings and much more. I also have some NOS and rebuilt Ultramatic parts.

There are also lots of pieces of postwar trim, mostly from from Patricians of different years. All trim parts are used but in good condition although pot metal pieces would require restoration. They are mostly still packed but I can unpack on my next visit if there is interest for something specific.

I am also considering parting out a 1951 Henney-Packard 156" wheelbase 3-door military ambulance. It is mostly complete with good glass but it's rear axle and driveshaft were donated to a '51 Henney-Packard combination. I know I have a 14" rear brake drum with complete backing plate for a postwar Henney-Packard and I may also have a few other Henney-specific mechanical and trim pieces.

Some prewar parts also available including at least one 1940 110 non-overdrive transmission, an early 1940 110 engine, C4411, rebuilt but not assembled (I have it all but may be difficult to locate all pieces on this trip), several heads, at least one 1940 110 steering gearbox, coil springs, used front shocks, used radio parts and much more.

If any of these are of interest or if you need something else, please let me know before the trip. The date hasn't yet been set so I can possibly work around your schedule. Because I cannot ship heavy parts, you or your shipper would have to meet me there for pickup or I can make arrangements for someone else to meet you there at a later date after the sale. An engine lift and forklift are available with advance notice. The shop is easily accessible but is in a very rural area with only wide gravel streets and a wide gravel driveway. The double-decker transporter that delivered the cars had no trouble getting in!

If you need something specific not mentioned here, just ask. Although I have no parts lists, I may either remember or can look while there. All parts sold AS-IS with advance payment by PayPal as I cannot accept on the spot cash payments.

Edited by Packard Don
Corrected several typos, re-worded text slightly (see edit history)

I a

If any of these are of interest or if you need something else, please let be know before the trip. The date hasn't yet been set so I can possibly work around your schedule. Because I cannot ship heavy parts, you or your shipper would have to meet me there for pickup or I can make arrangements for someone else to meet you there at a later date after the sale. An engine lift and forklift are available with advance notice. The shop is easily accessible but is in a very rural area with only wide gravel streets and a wide gravel driveway. The double-decker transporter that delivered the cars had no trouble getting in!

I be interest in the entire Henny miltary, can you send some pictures, what year. I have extra rear ends.

I hadn't intended on selling the whole car as it is being stored for use as a future project. However, I'm not getting any younger and the project hasn't even begun yet so I'll consider it. Details with photos can be found in the Classifieds on my site linked in the signature of any of my postings here. Note that the rear end needed must be specific to 156" wheelbase Henneys as they are completely different than those used on passenger cars.

I've owned Henneys since a teenager in the '60s and never heard that! If so, it would sure make finding a rear end a bit easier. All postwar Henneys, or at least all the '51s and '52s that I've seen, have overdrive transmissions even if the option wasn't ordered. If not ordered, it was not connected and there was a different rear end ratio so there were two rear ends and possibly three as some may have had Ultramatic and those surely had a different ratio. My '51 has a Dana rear end but the mounts had to be moved to fit it to the spring spacing and, of course, it is narrower than he original.

Edited by Packard Don
Corrected typo (see edit history)

Thanks Don....I mentioned what I did as second hand information from a man who had a large collection of old Packard stuff. The elderly gentleman that allowed him to harvest these parts was a Packard fan from old and passed that very info on to the man that relayed that to me. That was the very reason for the post..to see if this is common knowledge or urban legend...

My '51 is a 327 straight three speed with no overdrive that I know off as the B/W unit would be of the R series and the engagement lever would be mounted to the dash I am sure left of the steering wheel..again my only Packard experience is this car and the uniqueness of the senior size hearse was my very attraction tot he beast..OD would be the cats meow for this size vehicle..I have not crawled under this car to visualize the OD and the engagement solenoid common to the B/W unit..based on your message above it would probably be prudent to look....

for giggles..what would be you best guess for rear ratio fitted to the 156 senior?

When I connected up the overdrive in my 1952 Henney Nu-3-Way (side loader), which was a 6200 lb behemoth with full power everything including brakes and steering, it would cruise at what seemed like a high idle at 90 mph! Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little but it did seem like it after being used to the high revs before the OD was connected. Of course, it still had the non-overdrive rear end ratio so it did not have the pickup from a stop that the proper 4.7 rear end would have given it but for that very reason the highway revs were low. Check under your car - I think you'll find the OD transmission.

Although I've owned Packards and even Henney-Packards since I was 16 years old in the '60s (yes, I'm dating myself!) when I bought a 1941, my first postwar Packard of any sort was a '51 Henney-Packard combination that I found for sale in a neighborhood just a couple blocks away from where I lived in Santa Clara, California. In fact, I spotted it in the middle of the night and the owner just happened to be outside as they were having a sewer problem so I bought it on the spot. It was actually the one with the incorrect rear end so I bought the '51 ambulance mentioned in my original posting just for the purpose of getting the proper one. When I bought the ambulance, the owner said that he thought the distributor was broken as it turned freely by hand but, as I thought and proved once I got it home, there was no oil pump to drive it! Adding one, it started right up and ran well.