CRT in 88 lost screen

Guest whitey

I now have a blank CRT screen in my '88 reatta. It has shown no intermittent problems.....just there one day and gone the next on start-up. Is there a fuse, relay or circuit breaker to check first before I tear into it? This is a remanufactured unit and 2 years old. Unfortunately the radio was in the off position when this occurred so that part of the trouble shoot I can not do. The courtesy lights work so the BCM is not it. Any help out there on first steps?

Guest Mc_Reatta

You can probably still turn on the radio, and do all the other functions too if you go by memory and hit the screen in the right spots. Failure of the CRT normally does not keep the touch screen from working, which is what switches everything on and off.

There is not a dedicated fuse for the CRT, so if there were a blown fuse or problem with the Central Power Supply, many other things would not be working as well.

You can pull out the CRT and clean the connectors, but I fear another CRT is in your future. They made a tester specifically to test CRTs and the supporting electronics in the car, but if you don't have access to one, there's not much you can do.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to disconnect power to wake the unit but no go. Went fishing in the dark and was able to turn on the radio just a you said...good to know. Switched out the CRT, back to my original, and this set up works so bottom line, my remanufactured unit went bad. Still under warranty so all is good.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Points out a possible problem that the re-builders face. Delco used their tremendous clout to procure proprietary parts for their electronics. These original parts have probably become unobtanium. While re-builders can figure out how to find working replacements for these parts, they are not being manufactured to the exacting standards that Delco required back in the day. So higher infantile failures of components might be the norm for rebuilt modules used in the harsh environments in a car that utilize these parts.. Good to see that they will stand behind their work with decent warranties just in case. Used to be a 90 day warranty was pretty standard in the industry.

Glad you are getting your car set right again.

I purchased the remanufactured unit XXXXXXXXXXX for $450. They still sell these at that price. I paid a little more because they claim an unconditional 2 yr guarantee. I still need a response from them to see if they have issues. Since this happened over the weekend I will give them a few days for a response and instructions. If I have problems I can hopefully go to Ebay for resolution. I bought this unit to be a backup to the original equipment which was still working but was old. I switched the old for the new because of the warranty which in this case was the right thing to do. now I'm back to the original unit. If by some chance this doesn't work out then I may need to go shopping for a repair or different remanufacture. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by R W Burgess
DO NOT NAME VENDORS! PM'S ONLY!!! (see edit history)

I purchased the remanufactured unit fromXXXXXXXX for $450. They still sell these at that price. I paid a little more because they claim an unconditional 2 yr guarantee. I still need a response from them to see if they have issues. Since this happened over the weekend I will give them a few days for a response and instructions. If I have problems I can hopefully go to Ebay for resolution. I bought this unit to be a backup to the original equipment which was still working but was old. I switched the old for the new because of the warranty which in this case was the right thing to do. now I'm back to the original unit. If by some chance this doesn't work out then I may need to go shopping for a repair or different remanufacture. I'll keep you posted.
I believe the eBay seller you refer to is a long time member of this forum. I don't think you will have any problems getting him to replace or repair the CRT. I think he will honor the guarantee and make certain you are happy with your purchase. We have several parts vendors that frequent this forum. Although some vendors have higher prices than others, I think they all can be trusted to supply a good part and stand behind any warranty they put on the part. I would not be afraid to buy from any of them. Edited by R W Burgess (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steveskyhawk

GM warranted this car for 12 months or 12,000 miles. My company (Reatta Parts West) warranted this part for 2 years a mere 25 years after manufacture. A big thank you to all my loyal customers.