WW1 GMC ambulances

jpage

Thanks Howard! I have been able to find some other photos and history but was hoping to find info on specifics groups or sections using GMC ambulances. I have a photo of my grandfather in front of a row of GMC abulances.You can only see the very front and I needed positive ID on the make. This photo was taken at Fort Clark Tx. shortly before deployment. Interesting note.. these ambulances have bright headlamp rings and dbbl.whitewall tires; kinda odd for military vehicles!

• 2 years later...
Guest VFWPost2217

jpage, were you able to find any additional info? I am in search of any info regarding 1916 GMC ambulance. Also any in existence.

The citizens of Orange VA donated two. They had two brass plates attached. I can share the info i have. One of the plates came back from one of the drivers to Oange CO. VA We are trying to complete the story. - Al

Sorry no. I had actually forgotten about this post until now. Didn't get much feedback on it. Even the photos in the above post didn't show anything. I was hoping to find more info on the units that were assigned the GMC ambulances. My grandfather was assigned to Ambulance group no. 27 which had both motor ambulances and horse drawn units. i was trying to find out more about what sections and hospitals these groups were attached to and were they served in Europe. My grandfather was not a driver and was assigned to the veterinary corps of the unit but I have no idea what his job was. Thanks for the inquiry and I hope you find the info you're looking for.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2013 at 8:01 AM, jpage said:

Thanks Howard! I have been able to find some other photos and history but was hoping to find info on specifics groups or sections using GMC ambulances. I have a photo of my grandfather in front of a row of GMC abulances.You can only see the very front and I needed positive ID on the make. This photo was taken at Fort Clark Tx. shortly before deployment. Interesting note.. these ambulances have bright headlamp rings and dbbl.whitewall tires; kinda odd for military vehicles!

If you post a picture of grandfather and the ambulance, we could help you identify the truck chassis. During WWI, Buick truck chassis were the chassis of choice for the British Red Cross.  There were lots of chassis used from different manufacturers.

Look here for more information on GMC ambulances. 

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2014/01/gmc-1916-model-aa-military-truck-and.html

Here is a picture of a Buick ambulance.

http://www.1914.org/news/british-red-cross-to-digitise-first-world-war-volunteer-records-for-centenary/

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)