Longer leggs for my 47 Buick Super

jefferycar

My 47 Buick 56C needs a taller gear to make her happy @ 60- 70 MPH SPEEDS necessary for traveling in todays highway traffic. I did some preliminary research, and it seems there is a 3.90 -1 ratio Buick had available in the late 40's early 50's. Can anyone confirm this and further inform me as to which models and years I need to look for? I am a automotive Technician/Mechanic by profession so I am able to deal with just changing the center section out (preferred) or changing the ring and pinion should anyone have somthing to offer for sale. Any help in this matter will be most appreciated.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The 40's Buicks certainly could have done with a taller rear end and many have done it

This has been discussed many times and there are lots of threads that discuss it.

This just one thread that may help you .........

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1941-crown-pinion-change-351659.html

If you use the search option at the top of this page you will find numerous threads that will give you your answers.

Hope this helps and good luck with the change over......................I'm sure you'll love the difference it will make.

Regards

The original ratio in your 1947 56C is probably around 4.45 to 1. This is a relatively heavy car so I would try a 3.9 or a 3.6. In my 1948 Special I have a 3.40 like Ben and it goes real nice. Just remember that while you can comfortably go 60-65 MPH, you still have to stop that big Super. The easiset is to change out the just the pumpkin and use your drive shaft and torque tube.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

The easiset is to change out the just the pumpkin and use your drive shaft and torque tube.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

Don't even consider doing it any other way. 55 used a one year only rear pinion bearing and a housing to match, so other year gears cannot be installed and 55 cannot be installed in any other housing (other years may have similar problems). Also if installing replacement gears, it is a real pain to set the pinion on those things.

Willie

Come'on Barney, we need more information than that.

What "parts book" were you looking in ?

Maybe the "company" was bought by someone else and has some NOS stuff we have been looking for.

Don't leave us hanging..................

Mike in Colorado