Sign in to follow this  
Bell1220

What are these? Need ID

I have a bunch of these - all ranging between about 2-1/2" to 4-1/2" in diameter. They are designed various ways on the back sides. At first I thought they were gas caps. Now, I think they might be horn buttons? Any help is appreciated. The pictures are frontside and backside, with items placed in the same order. Thanks.

post-45922-143142228114_thumb.jpg

post-45922-14314222812_thumb.jpg

Most are horn buttons. The Mustang item is a fuel cap. First one looks like Corvair. Second, Pontiac. Seventh one looks like Oldsmobile, maybe. Eighth one looks to be for a Plymouth. Better photos could determine the years.

Most are horn buttons. The Mustang item is a fuel cap. First one looks like Corvair. Second, Pontiac. Seventh one looks like Oldsmobile, maybe. Eighth one looks to be for a Plymouth. Better photos could determine the years.

So, the first one (Corvair), even though it has rubber on the back, is a horn button? I would have thought gas cap. And, on the older gas caps, do they always have some kind of rubber sealer?

There will always be a rubber or fiber gasket on a fuel cap. The Mustang shows what the inside of a fuel cap usually looks like. Some GM products just had a rubber seal on the horn buttons for a press-on fit.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Can I submerge the horn buttons in water to clean them? Or would it be best not to do that since they are not exterior 'water-proof' parts?

the top center lookss like it goes to the outside top of rear fender on 51 pontiac.

Edited by GARY F (see edit history)

the top center lookss like it goes to the outside top of rear fender on 51 pontiac.

I believe you are right.