Not quite a Model 19 Touring, what is it?

Guest mythrenegade

Guest mythrenegade

Greetings,

I am trying to figure out what this car is. This is a photo of my great grandparents at Gettysburg. In the back seat is my great grandfather's uncle, who was a civil war veteran. He died in 1909, so this photo had to have been taken before that. We believe they might have gone for the 45th anniversary of the battle, which would be summer of 1908.

This looks ALMOST like a Buick Model 19 Touring to me. I'm pretty sure it's a buick because it says "Buick" on the front wheel hub. The reason I'm not certain it's a Model 19 is that it looks too long. The rear door is longer than on any Model 19 I've seen a photo of, and it opens from the rear instead of the front. I've also never seen a Model 19 with the box mounted like this one.

Is this a different Buick? Do I have it nailed? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Joel

post-96877-143142223631_thumb.jpg

post-96877-143142223621_thumb.jpg

Looks like a 1909 model 17 but with front doors. It might be a McLaughlin Buick made in Canada. They put doors on the front this early. A model 19 came out in 1910 so it would be too late and the rear doors open the opposite way.

Guest mythrenegade
Looks like a 1909 model 17 but with front doors. It might be a McLaughlin Buick made in Canada. They put doors on the front this early. A model 19 came out in 1910 so it would be too late and the rear doors open the opposite way.

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at Model 17's and I think you are right. The only things that don't match are that I can't find a single photo of another Model 17 with front doors, and every one I can find has nicer lanterns. That doesn't mean this isn't a Model 17, but they are differences worth noting. 1909 is the first year for the Model 17 right? That means this trip would be only a few months before Thaddeus died. Wow.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...