1938 Dodge guestion

Guest narikka

Guest narikka

Hi.

I have a problem which I hope you can help. I have a 1938 model Dodge (custom made in late 80`) where I've installed the Ford 302 engine and trans. Here in Finland it is silly laws that curb the sport. To get my car registered and approved on the road, I need to prove to the authorities that in the year 1938, Dodge has made from the straight 8 engine. According to my information, for example, has ordered the police vehicles, including a straight-8 engine in 30-century. Also, Europe has made ​​some strange combinations of Chrysler group products. For this reason, especially in England and Sweden enthusiasts, i hope you help find evidence that Dodge has made by straight 8 engine, at least a few.

Dodge Bros. (England) Ltd. did build Dodge Custom Eight 4 door sedans in 1938 and 1939.

They were actually Chrysler Imperial Eight sedans with a Dodge ram hood ornament and Dodge emblems and nameplates in place of the Chrysler Imperial versions. The cars were CKD units shipped from Detroit and painted, assembled and trimmed at the factory at Kew Gardens, Richmond, England. I believe they were also built with 12 volt electrics

The 1938 Dodge Custom Eight was model D19, again changing the Imperial's C19 to D19. They built about 12 of them.

And again in 1939 the Chrysler Imperial model number was changed, from C23 to D23. By the British serial number, six were built for 1939.

The 1954-55 edition of "Glass's Car Check Book" has a notation under the Dodge Custom Eight entry, "D19 and D23 Series should not be confused with the 1941/42 6 cy Series of the same Nos."

Dodge Bros. (England) Ltd. did build Dodge Custom Eight 4 door sedans in 1938 and 1939.

They were actually Chrysler Imperial Eight sedans with a Dodge ram hood ornament and Dodge emblems and nameplates in place of the Chrysler Imperial versions. The cars were CKD units shipped from Detroit and painted, assembled and trimmed at the factory at Kew Gardens, Richmond, England. I believe they were also built with 12 volt electrics

The 1938 Dodge Custom Eight was model D19, again changing the Imperial's C19 to D19. They built about 12 of them.

And again in 1939 the Chrysler Imperial model number was changed, from C23 to D23. By the British serial number, six were built for 1939.

The 1954-55 edition of "Glass's Car Check Book" has a notation under the Dodge Custom Eight entry, "D19 and D23 Series should not be confused with the 1941/42 6 cy Series of the same Nos."

I love it when I learn something I had no idea about. Thanks Chrycoman!

Guest narikka

Such information may just need! To convince the authorities I just need to get a copy of the book page where that information is printed. Where it can be obtained, or someone will be able to scan the page for me. Rare specialties, there are some additional, but I need to prove only one. . Example, how many people know that the Chrysler Corporation made ​​cars in Sweden in the 30's. My car is likely to be produced in Sweden

"The cars were CKD units shipped from Detroit and painted, assembled and trimmed at the factory at Kew Gardens, Richmond, England."

Sorry to be pedantic but the Kew plant on the banks of the Thames (excuse the "plant" pun) should not be confused with the Royal Botanic Gardens (with which my family have historic associations.) Dodge cars and commercials were assembled on the site from 1922 to 1967 when the assembly of Dodge trucks was moved to the 'Commer' plant in Dunstable, Bedfordshire.

http://www.allpar.com/world/kew.html

Ray.

"The cars were CKD units shipped from Detroit and painted, assembled and trimmed at the factory at Kew Gardens, Richmond, England."

Sorry to be pedantic but the Kew plant on the banks of the Thames (excuse the "plant" pun) should not be confused with the Royal Botanic Gardens (with which my family have historic associations.) Dodge cars and commercials were assembled on the site from 1922 to 1967 when the assembly of Dodge trucks was moved to the 'Commer' plant in Dunstable, Bedfordshire.

http://www.allpar.com/world/kew.html

Ray.

Yes, the Chrysler plant was located on Mortlake Road, in an area of Richmond called Kew Gardens. Dodges, though, were not built at Kew Gardens until after the Chrysler takeover. When Dodge Brothers (Dodge Brothers Britain Limited) started assembling vehicles in Great Britain in 1922 the plant was in Fulham. Later they moved to Park Royal and then to the Chrysler plant. The company name was changed to Dodge Bros. (Britain) Ltd., at least by the time they moved to Kew.

The Kew Gardens operation was actually started up by British businessmen. Not sure exactly when - it may have been in the Maxwell days. Anyway, Chrysler Corporation purchased Chrysler Motors, Ltd., in 1927. Dodge Brothers of Detroit was purchased by Chrysler Corporation at the end of July, 1928, shortly after Chrysler began building Fargo Trucks for the American market. The last American-market Fargo was built late in 1930, and the Fargo name reappeared for export markets in 1932 and lasted into the 1980's. Fargo trucks for the Canadian market were built 1936 through to 1972.

Chrysler in GB used Mortlake, Kew and Richmond as model names, as well as Heston, Croydon, Kingston, and Wimbledon. World War II brought all car assembly to a halt, and was never restarted after the war. Truck production, though, continued at Kew Gardens through to 1967 - Dodge, Fargo and DeSoto trucks.

Edited by Chrycoman (see edit history)

Guest narikka
(Sorry. But page#2 scan is way too small to read.)

Unfortunately, this is so. I tried different sizes of resolutions to print pages, but pages can not be read. Would it be possible to scan a page two again in order to get a better readable version of it. I am very grateful for your kindness. I ordered the e-Bay in a book called Dodge Story of my knowledge, what should be a mention of the United States made ​​from Dodge that had a direct 8 engine.

Unfortunately, this is so. I tried different sizes of resolutions to print pages, but pages can not be read. Would it be possible to scan a page two again in order to get a better readable version of it. I am very grateful for your kindness. I ordered the e-Bay in a book called Dodge Story of my knowledge, what should be a mention of the United States made ​​from Dodge that had a direct 8 engine.

Try again, I can understand everything but the last couple of lines.

• 6 months later...