Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

I flunked English in school, but...

I really don't want to take this to the limit but... I was in Jiffy Lube this week, (oil and filter only!). There were three members of a family in the waiting room with me for almost 20 minutes. A 6 year old, adult and a teen aged male. The only words I understood were "know" and I think "saying".

I'll bet you my old Chrysler and 1000.00 that 1/2 of of America can't read and / or write or write where some one understands what they are saying.

Pitiful.

My 2 cts.

Bill H

Bill, I agree, and it's going to get worst with all these young kids texting in short hand. Before you know it, that's the way they will communicate elsewhere. Most don't know how to tell time now unless it's in digital form......... We are being dumbed down for sure!!

Bill, I agree, and it's going to get worst with all these young kids texting in short hand. Before you know it, that's the way they will communicate elsewhere. Most don't know how to tell time now unless it's in digital form......... We are being dumbed down for sure!!

O.K.......sorry, but I must comment on this. "it's going to get worst" should say, "it's going to get worse". I know.....picky, picky, picky! The one that absolutely bothers me the most is when someone uses the word "than" instead of "then" and vice versa. It takes a while to figure out what they are saying when they do that.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Me an Skyking is from the East Coast, Yo. Sorry I couldn't resist, John.

I'm finished with this thread. You guys stop.

Bill H

I am originally from Detroit.....closer to the east coast than Oregon. Or is it "then"? snicker

Pierce-Arrow,,,1928 model 36 dual valve

Radiator emblem,,motto,, Dixit Et Fixit,,,

Translation from high school teacher, "I said I would ,and did it "

Many years later friend who was 3 years in first grade,,Spanish,Portugese,English,

later on picked up Esperanto,Navaho and Waddinee and others,,

and spoke Latin w/a Portugese accent,,

Translated it a bit diffrently,,,,"I told you so" ,To me this was a whole different flavor

The kid digging ditches in London may be fluent in 7 languages,,

I was in the army with a fellow who couldnt read or write,,,BUT could speak most every

language from Finland to Turkey,,where he thought he came from,,not sure,,

He had a most unusual view of WW-ll,,,Been there done that,,keep me out,,

Cheers,,Ben

Edited by cben09 (see edit history)

Everybody has made their point. People will probably continue to use bad English, punctuation and spelling. Now lets get back to old cars.

Yeah, give me a brake...their's no weigh that were dummer than we used two bee....hour IQ is increasing all the thyme, write?

Phase it, grammar has dyed, and know spell check fixes pour education....

Everybody has made their point. People will probably continue to use bad English, punctuation and spelling. Now lets get back to old cars.

Yes. Yes.... 31 posts from folks having a little fun. Lets knock this frivolity off and get back to the very serious business of being asked for the umpteenth time why his 1962 Belchfire 8 is making a funny noise or where to buy a wobbly nut for his 1923 Zipmobile. Neither poster will, of course, ever acknowledge getting an answer...............Bob

Yes. Yes.... 31 posts from folks having a little fun. Lets knock this frivolity off and get back to the very serious business of being asked for the umpteenth time why his 1962 Belchfire 8 is making a funny noise or where to buy a wobbly nut for his 1923 Zipmobile. Neither poster will, of course, ever acknowledge getting an answer...............Bob

Since it disappeared, I'll add my own.................."LIKE"

Yet another automotive-related example of the dumbing of America is the folks who write "Camero" or "Cutless". Are you so lazy that you can't even walk to the garage to read the emblem on the side of the car???

^^^^^How about "Cummings"?^^^^^

My truck says Cummins at, at least, 3 different locations

Now, on to "Jagwire":)

I was told by my work supervisor to stop writing notes in the job log in cursive because some employees could not read it. These people are degreed individuals and they can't read cursive? The old nun who taught me the Palmer Method of writing will be spinning in her grave over this.

I was told by my work supervisor to stop writing notes in the job log in cursive because some employees could not read it. These people are degreed individuals and they can't read cursive? The old nun who taught me the Palmer Method of writing will be spinning in her grave over this.

Cursive is becoming a thing of the past. Many schools are not teaching it anymore..............

http://www.valleybreeze.com/2013-08-21/cumberland-lincoln-area/should-schools-write-cursive#.UlMIpVM_53A

I have to admit that my cursive has always sucked. Coupled with the fact that I was hand-lettering engineering drawings on a drafting board in the late 1970s and early 1980s (before computer aided design systems), I've printed exclusively since then and have pretty much lost my ability to write in cursive. Actually, since engineering drawings are lettered in all-caps, that's how I write ("capital" letters are just taller than "lower case" in my world... I guess Microsoft calls it SMALL CAPS). The only "cursive" (and I use the term loosely) I write is my signature, which would do a doctor proud.

That is it. I'm riten me a dicsunary fer the proper use of hillbilly. An thin i'm sendin it to Websters fur a provel.... Jr Samples. BR 549...

My particular favorite: Car has mechanical BREAKS.

My old car Breaked it's Brakes... Now it's broke, and so am I. Dandy Dave!

I'm from a hick back-woods south to the bone redneck town. As long as somebody understands what i'm trying to say I don't care. I'd rather be able to communicate in an incorrect way than not at all.