!!!!!!!!!!!!Need Help Identifying This Chassis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest dtalbott13

Guest dtalbott13

Hey everyone, Drew Talbott here. So I have recently come across a frame that I think is pretty cool and unique, but I do not know what it is. Heres what I do know:

1. The Frame is at least 15 feet long.

2. It has running boards.

3. The Front frame horns curve down slightly to connect to the springs which are half elliptical.

4. The Front frame has spindles and currently has a wagon style arm on the front which lets me to believe that it was used as a wagon at a later time.

5. The frame is a bit of a weird design that I have never seen before nor really recognized.

6. The Rear frame is connected to a set of three quarter elliptical springs which has me scratching my head.

7. The Rear axle was turned around and a cover was installed on it which also leaves me to believe that it was used as a wagon later on in its life.

Below are the pictures of the frame as It sat before I removed if from the falling apart shed it was in. I would like the help of everyone on the forum to see if we can figure out what this frame might be, and what year around it could be. I would sure appreciate it.

Also in the pictures below, I also found a trunk that I have a better knowledge of being around the times of mid 20's to early 30's. I would also like to see if we could identify this as well, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Drew

P.S. I do apologize about the bad pictures.post-78179-143142219069_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142218995_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219007_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219017_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219028_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219038_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219049_thumb.jpg

post-78179-143142219059_thumb.jpg

Detail that shows indicates teens or early twenties. The frame has similar style to Italian of that period, but not exclusively. Look for numbers on the top surface of the frame at the very front, just behind the front spring mountings, left and right. Need to form a view of whether it is sized in imperial measurements or metric, and what thread standard is used. The diff housing pressing style could be Italian, but not FIAT or Lancia. Itala or Ansaldo are outside possibilities, but I am not sufficiently familiar with them. I have seen that style of diff before. You really need to show more of it without camouflage, because intermediate crossmembers may indicate how the gearbox was mounted. Some American cars were copy in part or total of Italian models; for instance one Lancia model was copied by SGV and Phianna, but rear axle is nothing like Lancia.

It is important to save it. The Chassis frame is the hardest item to find. Once you get full identification you should have a reasonable chance to find enough mechanicals to restore a car. Engines were often saved.

Nice find. The rear springs are the type used in the early teens by Alco, Locomobile, Simplex, Hudson, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Buick, Oldsmobile, National, etc. Of these, the front steering knuckle looks closest to Hudson.

More detailed pictures are needed. Evidence of where the headlights may have mounted on the frame, better view of front axle/steering knuckle, as well as those areas mentioned by Ivan.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

I've no idea what make this is, but it's basically the same as the back end of this chassis which was on eBay in Australia recently. Apart from the number of spring leaves, the rest looks very similar (to me).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-VETERAN-FUEL-TANK-BRACKETS-/161067349469?nma=true&si=xQVsD1JAZTlxAX5hiA9x%252FwC89fo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've no idea what make this is, but it's basically the same as the back end of this chassis which was on eBay in Australia recently. Apart from the number of spring leaves, the rest looks very similar (to me).http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-VETERAN-FUEL-TANK-BRACKETS-/161067349469?nma=true&si=xQVsD1JAZTlxAX5hiA9x%252FwC89fo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
the frame is veteran Dodge Brothers between 1917 and 1921 after which they changed to semi elepitic springs. bob