The Forgotten Divisions of General Motors

Guest Magoo

Guest lordairgtar

Great posting. I have a love for Canadian GM cars such as the Beaumont and the Acadian. Does anyone know of the Little motors cars? They eventually were brought in to GM and became one of the models sold by Chevy with little change except the badges.

This was the biggest flaw in GM throughout its history. Way too many Divisions and Duplications. Is it any wonder that they

had to file bankruptcy? Even today they have too many Divisions: Why have two truck Divisions? Time for GMC to hit the

Automotive graveyard as they are nothing more than a "Copycat" of Chevrolet. Larry

This was the biggest flaw in GM throughout its history. Way too many Divisions and Duplications. Is it any wonder that they

had to file bankruptcy? Even today they have too many Divisions: Why have two truck Divisions? Time for GMC to hit the

Automotive graveyard as they are nothing more than a "Copycat" of Chevrolet. Larry

I don't think there is any question but that GM eventually had too many brands. The overhead is huge. Toyota could sell roughly the same number of cars in America with three brands as GM was selling in eight. In the 2009 reorganization, half the brands had to go away. Many enthusiasts still don't appreciate that.

That said, the multiplicity of brands made plenty of sense in the company's early decades. Sloan was very clever about this -- GM had been built by purchasing and combining a huge tangle of unrelated companies. By 1) preserving brands where possible and 2) crafting the famed GM decentralized corporate structure, all these various companies and their executives could continue and flourish.

Sloan's theory was to cover the market by offering "a car for every purse and purpose". Up to the early 50s there were definite differences between model lines. You could compare a Chev to a Buick or Cadillac and easily see why the heavy models cost more money.

By the lat 50s these lines were blurred. You could actually buy a Chev or Pontiac with a bigger V8 than Cadillac, and all the Cadillac features as optional equipment. There was practically no difference in size, interior room, or performance compared to 20 or 30 years earlier.

Things became even more confused in the 60s and later when all divisions wanted to compete in all size classes. Buick Special and Olds F85 selling against Chevelle, and so on.

This sort of thing reached an all time low with the F car based Cadillac Cimarron in the 80s.

Today we expect all makes to compete in all size and price classes. More or less as Mercedes has done from the start.

Maybe it is time to rationalize all the car lines and start over. It seems today that individual models mean more than makes.

Sloan's theory was to cover the market by offering "a car for every purse and purpose". Up to the early 50s there were definite differences between model lines. You could compare a Chev to a Buick or Cadillac and easily see why the heavy models cost more money.

Indeed. The interesting thing about the "every purse and purpose" strategy was the car lines were not assembled for that purpose. They were simply a mishmash of car makers that Durant had acquired and Sloan inherited. He had to organize this mess somehow, and even then the brands overlapped their price and class segments. It took some squinting to visualize it all and craft it into a vertical brand heirarchy.

Also, the individual companies -- for example Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Chevrolet, and also Hyatt, where Sloan came from -- entered GM with strong, autonomous managers. Sloan needed to devise an organization that would accommodate all these strong individuals and cultures but under a powerful central authority. Business schools still study how Sloan did it.

Rusty and Magoo have it right. Sloan was a genius at organization and managing prima donnas. He built GM into the greast corporate entity that ever existed.

I researched the GM car line prices for the 1940's and 1950's and there was very little overlap as you moved from Chevrolet up to Cadillac. The price of a top line Chevy was just about the starting price of the low end Pontiac and so on. There was some overlap in regard to Buick because they had broad market coverage starting with the Special on up to the Roadmaster and the Limited in the 1940's.

Joe, BCA 33493

• 1 year later...

maybe Chevrolet should stop selling trucks, maybe Chevrolet is a copy of the GMC?

Pontiac was not the for runner of Oakland they were built at the same time ,Oakland was bought about 1909 Pontiac was started about 1926 by GM .The Oakland last year was 1931 . 1930-31 was a V8 . Pontiac used the last of those V8 in early 32. Great cars I have a 1930 Oakland sedan. Kings32

We actually had a 1923 Cartercar show up at our All-GM show last summer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]297617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]297618[/ATTACH]

That has to be a typo as the CarterCar pictured is a 1913-14. Here is my friend's 1914....

post-37352-143142996028_thumb.jpg

You people can not forget Vega, Monza Frigidaire or General Motors Diesel near London Ont. for train Locomotive's they spun off.

The Vega and Monza were not Division's just model lines, I own one Vega and two Monza's, they were just another Chevrolet model that was offered for sale.

Guest prs519

Not exactly models, but spin-off companies might include United Motors Service, Delco, and Delco Remy. These were divisions dedicated to parts supply, as I recall.

The Saturn Sky should have become a Buick Sky.

That roadster body, on the Kappa platform was also marketed in Europe as an Opel GT.

I have always insisted GM could have saved tons of $$$ by converting all the Saturn dealers into 'GM Import' dealers for Opel and Holden instead of paying them out. It would have made sense since some of the Saturns were already rebadged Opels, and the Pontiac G8 and GTO was essentially a Holden, and by doing so, it would have been a continuation of their respective lines. That way, the current owners of Saturn Astras, Sky's, Pontiac Solstice's, G8's, etc., would not feel like alienated orphans at Chevrolet dealerships.

Craig

I have always insisted GM could have saved tons of $$$ by converting all the Saturn dealers into 'GM Import' dealers for Opel and Holden instead of paying them out........... That way, the current owners of Saturn Astras, Sky's, Pontiac Solstice's, G8's, etc., would not feel like alienated orphans at Chevrolet dealerships.

Craig

I agree. I wanted a G-8 badly in the last days of Pontiac, but the dealer thought he knew better than me, so he lost a sale. I'll probably never buy a new GM car ever again, after beginning my purchasing of their new cars in 1968. Sad!

Guest Skyking

#2 The Saturn Sky should have become a Buick Sky.

Do you think it would have made any difference? I don't, and as much as I'd love to own one.