Carburetor Rebuilding Service

dhaven64

• 2 months later...
Guest Roger.Waltham

Karb King in Pittsburgh is the shop I've been using with excellent results for years. They are very reasonable and not only rebuild your carb, but tune it for any modifications you may have done, for today's gas, and you can specify other custom services and parts up to and including electro and chrome plating. I talk to Vern or his son JR and have done business with them since the early 80s.

Karbking.com

Karbkingkarbs@ gmail.com

10 Machinists Way

Pittsburgh, PA 15210

412-256-850

Tell em Roger in Albany sent you

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm debating on whether to send my carb to an old crotchety guy in San Diego, who does turn key work or to ship it across the country. I've also checked in Riview and found some good ones there. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Guest Roger.Waltham

Karb King also advertises in Hemmings, in case you're interested.

I also know they build racing Holley carbs and have done work for the Henry Ford and Peterson Museums. I think I read they restored the induction system on the Jim Clark Ford-Lotus Indy car.

Anyway, they're real good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the carb back last week and to be honest, I'm unimpressed (visually) with what they've done. Looks like it was moderately cleaned and sprayed with a clear coat haphazardly. I spent a good 2 hrs cleaning the outside of the card and it looks much better. I have not installed it yet as I'm still restoring the rest of the car, so I can't speak to how well it runs, but I was expecting it to look much better than it does. I'll let you know how it runs once it's installed.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Roger.Waltham

RivNut is right: Karb King's $135 price is a bargain in our hobby, and allows us to get a properly functioning, if not perfect looking carburetor at less than a third the price and a tenth of the time it takes most of the other carb rebuilders to do the same. I akin Karb King to the old-time corner shop that's been rebuilding carbs for local mechanics and garages for years, and now offers that service via the internet to a broader customer base. There aren't too many places like that around anymore.

Still, you should know that a trip to karbking.com will show you that they do offer complete cosmetic, concours style restorations, just at an added cost and timeframe over their basic $135 rebuild.

When I asked the guy who did mine how he did it in one day, he said (second generation of carb builders) that back in the day, the gas station guys would send over bad carbs in the AM and expect them back the same afternoon, or the next morning at the least. If they couldn-t do the rebuild quickly the gas stations would just go and buy a new one, so they had to adapt I guess.

Guest Roger.Waltham

That's true about old time carb turnaround--Vern at Karb King remarked that the only reason their turnaround is three days is because two days are needed just for cleaning!

I haven't tried the place Clamshell mentioned, but I'm happy with the prices and results at Karb King.

Clamshell, what did that place charge for your carbs?

Guest clamshells

I don't recall the turn around time or the cost, just my satisfaction.

The Rochester on my 66 needed extensive repair: throttle shaft bushings and they had a linkage piece from a parts carb but didn't charge me for the linkage.

I have heard Karb King is excellent too.

That's true about old time carb turnaround--Vern at Karb King remarked that the only reason their turnaround is three days is because two days are needed just for cleaning!

I haven't tried the place Clamshell mentioned, but I'm happy with the prices and results at Karb King.

Clamshell, what did that place charge for your carbs?

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

• 1 year later...