1936 Dodge pick up. Question regarding estimated value.

Guest dbaeza

Hi All. I'm new to the forum, as well as collecting and restoring, so I appreciate the help. I'm looking to estimate the range in value for a 36 dodge pickup in good condition (not excellent), running, very straight, all original with the exception of the grill. It's being offered to me for $8K. If this isn't the right Thread, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

I am sure others will disagree with me, but with some of the wrong parts (headlamp parts) and what may be the wrong seat and missing grill & bumpers I would say closer to $6,000.00.....maybe. The grill will cost you over $1000.00 with the crankhole cover which is VERY tough to find. Just my guess. It looks like it says, "D5" or "D6" on the engine i.d. pad. Don't know what it is supposed to be, but if it is the wrong engine, the price may drop considerably more. It certainly is a solid looking example, otherwise.

Thanks very much for the feedback. The goal with the truck is not to restore it but keep it close to original and modify to V8, change interior, paint, etc. I would end up selling the motor. I would think from that perspective though the price would remain the same as the seller does not know my intentions. Thoughts?

Thanks very much for the feedback. The goal with the truck is not to restore it but keep it close to original and modify to V8, change interior, paint, etc. I would end up selling the motor. I would think from that perspective though the price would remain the same as the seller does not know my intentions. Thoughts?

If you're building a rod, spending this much money on a runner that you will just tear down is money wasted, IMHO.

That's too nice a truck to ruin by hot-rodding it with modern engine and interior. Save it for a restorer. The original trucks are fine trucks and should stay that way. [my opinion obviously]

At my local cruise night, there are many modified, hot-rodded older pickup trucks, but the crowds are around the dusty, dirty, fresh from the barn original trucks and cars.

There are plenty of trucks with no interior, and no engine that would be an acceptable base to modernize.

I think the price mentioned of $6K is about right, that's to keep it original and want it that way for the value of originality.

Greg L

Guest dbaeza
If you're building a rod, spending this much money on a runner that you will just tear down is money wasted, IMHO.

I appreciate the feedback. No final decision has been made in terms of what will be done to the truck. I'm meeting the mechanic there today to get an assessment. I'll take much more detailed photos.

Guest dbaeza
I see a gas tank laying in the bed. Is that hooked up? If it is that's the first thing you should address as that isn't safe.

The original gas tank is still intact under the drivers side.

Guest cben09

Back in the day,,,,

I decided to pull the GMC 248,,,6cyl,,and put in a 283,,v-8,,,changing from 4sp'd hydro

to a 4 on the floor,,rock-crusher,,,

dont do it,,,engine compartment is too short,,and too narrow

The engine will not clear the steering box,,,manifold don't fit,,this was

before after market annything,,engine mounts all different,,,

The '56 1 ton panel was the workhorse,,,BUT,,,salt rott took out the door mounts

and a good part of the f fenders,,ended up as donor veh for City of Boston paddywagon

to be used in enaugral parade,,Washington,,so at least it had a purpose in the end,,,

Go sloowly with a plan,,,,Cheers,,,Ben

Guest dbaeza

Much thanks for the feedback. The seller was not willing to budget on price of 8K. After digging into the truck deeper their were fiberglass rear fenders and other issues with the motor.

Much thanks for the feedback. The seller was not willing to budget on price of 8K. After digging into the truck deeper their were fiberglass rear fenders and other issues with the motor.

RUN from that deal at that price.

Guest dbaeza

I'm in the market for a 36 to 40 dodge pickup to restore. If you come across anything interesting, please let me know. I'll continue to check back. I may be able to convince the seller of the 36 to part his truck out. Not likely, but worth a try.