1923 Ross Steering box, finger repair

Guest 61xlch

Hello folks

anyone knows how to repair the flat spot at the tapered finger of my early Ross Steering Box?

16009975vt.jpg

Basically I would bore/cut out the old finger, and make a new one. But how to fix the new finger in the plate? Welding is not possible, because it needs to be hardened. I wonder if a thread would be strong enough?

Every help is appreciated.

Thanks

Andreas

Berlin/ Germany

Guest 61xlch

Thanks for your input.

The finger is not pressed in, its one piece.

I like the idea with the tapered sleeve, but it might be difficult to round off the old finger.

I ´ll see...

You say the finger is hardened. If so how would you "bore" it out other than with an EDM machine?. If none of the part is hardened the job is fairly simple. Bore out the finger, press/shrink fit a new finger into place and then cross pin with a dowel or taper pin.

If the part is indeed hardened do the same thing only instead of conventional machining the job needs to be done with and EDM machine making the process slow and expensive...........Bob

Guest QGolden

From the looks of the wear I would question how hard it is. Have you tried to drill it (drill press only). Try a carbide drill or small endmill, it may only be surface hardened if you get through the first .30 or so it may give way. If so then replace it with a pin made of D2 or A10.

Edited by QGolden (see edit history)