It's raining '22 Buicks!

Dwight,

I've been following your saga. Congrats on the purchase. If you in fact go the Studebaker route I have a perfect gas tank with brackets for you. I am doing a '14 Overland speedster and have a tank that is just a little to long for the chassis width. Also have made molds and casted cowl light brackets for a sloped dash. I know I'm probably a bit early offering this stuff but what the heck. I like conversing with anyone as crazy as I. Here is how my project started out. Good luck, Markpost-85192-143142228705_thumb.jpg

Mark,

I am in the process of gathering parts as they become available. I bought a pair of Gray & Davis Cadillac Brass gas headlights, a spot light with a side view mirror on the back, a mount to carry two spare tires on the back, a vintage car tool box 38"w X 16" H x 11" deep, a unique tail/stop light., an acetalene generator, Two spare wheels and tires!

I have just spent 3 hours looking at gas tanks! I am interested. How big is yours?

Thanks for thinking of me,

Dwight

.... I like conversing with anyone as crazy as I.... Mark

What could be crazier than going clear across the country in a rusty old 1990 Chevy Suburban, with a trailor in tow, to retrieve a rusty old 1915 Buick parts car and bring it home. I put on just shy of 7,000 miles sight seeing on that trip. :P Would love to go and do it again. :cool: Dandy Dave!

What could be crazier than going clear across the country in a rusty old 1990 Chevy Suburban, with a trailor in tow, to retrieve a rusty old 1915 Buick parts car and bring it home. I put on just shy of 7,000 miles sight seeing on that trip. :P Would love to go and do it again. :cool: Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave:

You might be interested in following these guys who are driving from New York to California nonstop in 60 hours in a 1930 Model A Ford. They are leaving Monday (Columbus Day).

-PAXP-deijE.gif

1930 Ford aiming for new land speed record

cars.uk.msn.com 1930 Ford Model A Peking to Paris veteran aiming for new coast-to-coast American driving record

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Dwight,

The tank is 33.5" long x 18" in diam. I have the brackets for it and the fill cap has been plated in nickel. it is a center fill. If it is something of interest I can dig it out of storage and send you some pictures.

I was going to put a post on the Speedster forum to see if someone needed one. The thing that is unusual about this tank is it is a mid sized tank. Most are off large firetrucks or T's. this is in the middle.

Mark

Dandy Dave:

You might be interested in following these guys who are driving from New York to California nonstop in 60 hours in a 1930 Model A Ford. They are leaving Monday (Columbus Day).

-PAXP-deijE.gif

cars.uk.msn.com 1930 Ford Model A Peking to Paris veteran aiming for new coast-to-coast American driving record

The best part about a Model A Ford is that you can get pretty much any part you need in a few days no matter where in the world you are. Now setting off in a vintage car with many parts made from unobtanium like the Charteruce Lady, That is just plain nuts. :P Dandy Dave!

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon, question regarding the 22 Buick. Jim has the 23 Buick coupe and is wondering where the battery goes. Is it in the right fender area? there are holes there and not quite sure where it fits. Also he has tires that are 4.40-4.50 by 21 making sure is that the right size for his 23 Buick coupe 4 cylinder.

Hi Olympiagirl,

The battery should go under the pasenger seat supported just below the rectangular hole with two "u" shaped steel brackets with ears on them that are screwed down to the floor. I will post a picture tommorrow.

As Leif wrote, the wheels should be 23" and the standard tire would be 4 x 31. Other size tires that would fit would have to work in this equation:

tire diameter - 2 x tire width = wheel size

For example:

31" - (2) 4" = 23"

Another tire that would fit would be:

30" - (2) 3.5" = 23"

Other tires would fit that satisfy this equation "within reason." The "within reason" should be checked with a call to a vintage tire dealer like Coker Tire or Universal Tire.

I'm not sure if 24" wheels from a '23 6 cylinder will fit on his four cylinder, but I'm sure someone else who knows will chime in.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)
Dandy Dave:

-PAXP-deijE.gif

With a 60 hour run coast-to-coast, I doubt they will be setting any records. Someone just set a new record in the Cannonball Run in under 29 hours, averaging 95 miles an hour. Not sure how one accomplishes those kind of numbers in an illegal race but someone did.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

I live 300 miles straight north of Hershey, PA. It is a 5 hour drive. A few years ago a friend and I were leaving Hershey about 10 AM. We were heading up Sand Beach Rd. Told told him we could be home before suppertime or, if he wanted, I knew way to get back in about 12 hours. We got home about 1 AM. Great trip! I know how to do stuff like that. I probably wouldn't do the Cannonball thing too good, but I might get recognition as the only person who bought a "barn find" during the Run.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

Some additional history on the '22 Buick for anyone following this thread:

I spoke to an elderly gentleman today who owned the Buick and saw it parked in a barn in Sandusky, Mich sometime in the 1980's. The owner of the farm (and car) had the car up for sale, but did not sell it. "no one would pay what he was asking". The owner said the car was parked in the barn in the 40's and thought it was running when it was parked. The wire from the ignition coil to the distributor was removed, and the ignition switch locked. (The ignition is still locked, and the wire is missing). The elderly gentleman ended up buying the car in 1995. He intended to restore it but was always too busy. He stored it inside and never tried to start it. He sold it this year. (So, it appears as if it has not been outside or run since the 40's).

I will not be working on the car until next year, but I did change the oil and lubricate everything. It turns over easily with the crank. I had my neighbor watch the oil gauge while I cranked. I can quickly produce 60 psi of oil pressure. I think that is a good sign!

The internal parking brakes and external service brakes work, but the service brakes need adjustment.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)