1956 Lincoln Premier steering problem

Guest Gordon R

Guest Gordon R

I just found this forum and am extreamly pleased . I have owned a beautifull 56 Lincoln convertible for over 20 years but rarely drive her as she wanders terribly. Steering wheel has almost 1/4 turn of play in her and is very uncomfortable to drive. Everything underneath is tight and tires aren't wearing un-evenly. I keep thinking it's in the strg. box but don't know what to do about it and I can't think that I'm alone with this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Gordy

Could be a couple of problems. If you have the "pusher" kind of power steering, the valve might have too much play. If you put the car on jack stands and observe the movement of the pitman arm and linkage you should be able to notice. Unfortunately, early valve parts a tough to find. Other possibility is the worm gear in the steering box has a missing spot or two. Check the tension adjustment before you take the box out.

Abe

Guest Gordon R
Could be a couple of problems. If you have the "pusher" kind of power steering, the valve might have too much play. If you put the car on jack stands and observe the movement of the pitman arm and linkage you should be able to notice. Unfortunately, early valve parts a tough to find. Other possibility is the worm gear in the steering box has a missing spot or two. Check the tension adjustment before you take the box out.

Abe

Abe Thanks very much! I will get to work on it. Gordy

Guest Charles Blais

The problem is in the directional part of the spool valve. The bushing and directional arm that is moved when you steer the wheel have wear in them. You probably also have wear in the pitman shaft in the lower bushing area. Both are extremely common on the 56's. best to find a good used box or send yours out for rebuild

Guest 65Starfire

This is a very common problem as others have noted. If the steering linkage is tight and within tolerances I would strongly recommend pulling the box and having it rebuild to 57 specs. There were changes in the box internals that were made by ford in 57 that make a big difference. Look on the Mark II forum for some in depth discussion on the topic.

Guest Gordon R
The problem is in the directional part of the spool valve. The bushing and directional arm that is moved when you steer the wheel have wear in them. You probably also have wear in the pitman shaft in the lower bushing area. Both are extremely common on the 56's. best to find a good used box or send yours out for rebuild

Charles Makes Sense. Thank you very much?? I'n going to look for a rebuilder immediately, The problem with a used box is that I could be duplicating the problem Regards Gordy