Sign in to follow this  
buickguy62

Keyless remote antenna location, '90 vert. None in rear window on my car.

Hi,

New owner of a 90 'vert. No remotes came with car, I bought a set, programmed them, they sort of work, poor range, and sometimes they don't work. Looked for receiving antenna in rear glass, only looks like there is just the defroster grid, no antenna on top part of glass. What am I missing here?

Thanks

On the vert the antenna isn't located in the glass like a coupe. I think it is located inside the windshield surround along the top on the passenger side. Someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong about the location but I know it isn't in the glass. I have no idea why the new ones aren't working well.

Guest my3buicks

I have the exact same symptoms with my 90 conv, poor range, and sometime it takes a few tries.

Regardless of coupe or convertible every Reatta I have owned has poor range. Maybe we feel it is poor because of the long range many new cars have.

Guest my3buicks

That could be very true Barney, and that's what I had chalked it up to. On the other end of the scale is my Subaru which has to far of a range, I have to careful when I park it that I don't bump the key fob as it will even work once inside a building. I have come back to the car more than a few times and it is unlocked or I have set the alarm off while inside.

I remember when the remotes first came out, we were in an engineering office two floors up and a lady there had a GM company car with one of the first remotes. From the window we could see the lot where the car was parked. We asked about the range, and she wasn't sure, thought you had to be pretty close, so she pushed the trunk release 'knowing' it was out of range, (probably about 75 feet away) and pop, the trunk opened up. Wouldn't have been an issue except to get from the office to the lot was about a 5 minute walk, and it was sleeting. Pretty funny.

Aftermarket remotes seem to provid slightly more range than oem. Nothing like a new car. Placing the remote under your chin seems to help strangely enough

Placing the remote under your chin seems to help strangely enough

About a month ago, my Son brought this to my attention. I have to admit, I thought it sounded kind of hokey until I tried it.

I don't do it though because a guy just doesn't look good walking toward his cool car with a key fob stuck under his chin. :)

John F.