Young & Old

Guest c.johnson

I'll be 40 in August - hopefully my wife won't buy black balloons for me like I did for her when she turned 40.<P>I thing there is an old French saying that goes something like: by the time you are old enough to know what to do, you are too old to do anything about it. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>cj

63 years, 364 days, but feel 40 look 30 and act 20 (or is that 16) sometimes cool.gif" border="0 double all sometimes frown.gif" border="0 ,cars 39 and 35 when resting smile.gif" border="0, double that sometimes mad.gif" border="0, but Life's Great grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Guest EMF-Owner

Boy, it is interesting to see that there are others my age that are into the brass era cars. <P>I am 37, my E-M-F is 90, my Model T is 82 and my DeSoto is 71.

I'm vintage 1957. I turned 45 just last month, and I'm still one of the youngest members on the local level. (We're always on the hunt for newer, younger members. The older ones are getting worn out running things!)<P>We've got a 1937 Buick Century (his) and a 1964 Rambler American (hers) in the garage.<P>Jan K.

This discussion seems to have brought out a few people in their 20s, some in their 30s, lots of 40's & 50's and some in the early 60's.<P>I think that is indicative of the general ages of the people on the forum and NOT the general age of the AACA members. I know that in my age group, 69 and up, there aren't too many computer users. Father Ron will attest to how long it took me to get involved.<P>I just received a roster of my high school class, 1951, and among those surviving there are many blanks where the internet address goes. Not a surprise.<P>However, I do feel that this thread has been very interesting and informative and proved that when not face to face, age is relatively unimportant. cool.gif" border="0 Age discrimination, either up or down, is a learned condition.<P>Just my opinion. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs<p>[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: hvs ]

RW ~ I wasn't trying to ruffle Earl's feathers. I was just funnin him a bit.<BR>Even though he and I have had our disagreements, we go back 40 years and that gives us a little leeway, I hope. smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Maybe the reason I've never had a hot rod is that I'm such a bad mechanic. I'm just breaking in a new mechanic here (I had to buy some Fords to do it) while the old reliable mechanic (also Wayne Burgess' mechanic) is planning to move to Florida. I assume he is moving to Florida to be near me so he can fix or repair all of my antiques daily!! grin.gif" border="0 <P>On the subject of hot rods. It is my view that it is incorrect to lump hot rods together with street rods. Maybe it is imagined, but I see a world of difference between the two. Maybe that's because Burgess' '32 Ford hi-boy doesn't have Mag or Rallye wheels!!!! Personally, forced into a choice of any kind, I sort of grew up with "customized" cars during the 1950s. I always wanted one, but the furtherest I ever got was a "bull nose" replacement for the hood ornament on my '52 Plymouth Belvedere along with Western Auto fender skirts and two sandbags in the trunk!! Whoops, almost forgot, I also painted the outside edge of the wheels red and put on '56 Plymouth hubcaps...the red showing was cool in those days. That was way back in 1956. tongue.gif" border="0<P>Jan K must be trying to make me feel really old. My first daughter was born in 1957!!<p>[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

Geez, all these numbers play hell with my dyslexia! I'm 40, and have cars from 1912 to 1963 {not including wife's} <P>Few things I enjoy more than driving these old cars, even if I have to rebuild the engines and chassis now and then, finances permitting.<P>My '27 Buick went for 12 years before an ill-omened winter cracked the block.<BR>My Essex went for 9.<P>The older my cars, the more careful and conservative I've been but I love to drive them all over probably because in my formative years I came under the influence of Les Cutting and Henry Austin Clark, 2 guys who drove their old cars everywhere.<P>Les took his 1915 Interstate { now treasured by me} from New York to Hershey many times, took it to Massachusetts as well, a sobering thought with today's traffic. {he used to leave Long Island at 2:30 in the morning}