Door panel issue

Rivdrivn

Need some help with my 65. In rebuilding my driver side deluxe door panel I noticed that under the wood inlay is a metal plate. I now have a mirror with a remote and I don't see any cut out for access. Should I just drill a hole or is this the incorrect panel? Fortunately I have power vents because there is no cut out for that either. Seems odd since the cardboard has these access points.

Remote mirror, power windows, power vents, and the rear door handle on custom interiors were all options or part of an option. The panels are probably made for the base interior and you'll need to make holes for what you have. Most pre-made panels that I've seen have sections perforated for these options and you just punch them out. From whom did you source your panels?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Remote mirror, power windows, power vents, and the rear door handle on custom interiors were all options or part of an option. The panels are probably made for the base interior and you'll need to make holes for what you have. Most pre-made panels that I've seen have sections perforated for these options and you just punch them out. From whom did you source your panels?

Right, I too was expecting perforations or something similar. The car came with the unrestored door panels and the remote mirror. Clearly both are not original to this car.

OK Steve: Clark's Corvair Parts has just what you need. Part# R 242 and R 243. Why get just the cardboard when you can get the correct and cut vinyl as well. You'll need the fuzzie kit and the door rails too.

It's getting easier. Mitch

Hi Mitch. I actually started with new panels that I got from another member at the ROA meet. Unfortunately the adhesive he used was incorrect and never completely dried. So, I had a local shop make studier ones, applied the correct black vinyl, carpet, and new fuzzies from CARS and then I transferred all the components. I also got a nice wood kit at the meet.

It looks really sharp so I think I may cover the trunk cardboard that I got from Gene with the same black vinyl and use black loop carpet to match the interior.

I just got the trunk set from Clark's. I can't say enough good things about their product and service. Even the packaging of their product is superior...almost lovingly done with small ribbons that secure the carpet roles etc. My only personal input is that if I had to do it again I'd only get the half spare cover. It may be related to the tire I carry as a spare, but it was a tight fit and a little tricky to get the spare locked in tight with the full cover. Also, you can barely see the back half anyway. Regardless, Clark's is the best source for interior stuff, hands down. PRL

OK Steve: I too got the Clark's trunk kit with the black carpet. Fits perfect and looks great. If your driver's rear view mirror wasn't a remote consider a stock manual. It's no big thing on a First-Gen Riv and the nice part is that with power vents your door wood will really pop because of lack of the mirror adjusting knob. Mitch

OK Steve: I too got the Clark's trunk kit with the black carpet. Fits perfect and looks great. If your driver's rear view mirror wasn't a remote consider a stock manual. It's no big thing on a First-Gen Riv and the nice part is that with power vents your door wood will really pop because of lack of the mirror adjusting knob. Mitch

Good idea with the mirror, Mitch. Do you happen to have any pictures of the trunk carpet installed?

• 1 month later...