'31 Hudson barn find

Restorer32

Was called out the other day to look at a true barn find 1931 Hudson Sedan. Last licensed in 1952 and apparently an untouched original, though needing complete restoration. Typical 4 door sedan except for the fact that it had an auxiliary transmission behind the first and a second shift stick, shorter and behind the original stick. Very well done , even appeared to factory. Was there such an option? Attached is a photo of the data plate. Can anyone explain the Oriental? Asian? lettering on the plate? Just your typical "Patent Protected" language?

post-31442-143142202566_thumb.jpg

I cant help with the extra shifter, but likely its the "free wheel'' option, but I cant say for sure when Hudson put that out.

As for the Plate, Hudson was a Major Exporter of cars and the Asian lettering is Patent language. It is interesting to me that In our Hudson collection 4 of our american left hand drive

cars have the asian lettering, but we have two cars " built for export " right hand drive, and no asian lettering on the data plate.

Thinking the second shift lever is way too substantial to be associated with freewheeling though I know nothing about how Hudson freewheeling was engaged. This lever is immediately behind the regular shift lever and is shorter. Looks more like an overdrive but an overdrive in hilly PA prior to 1952? Seems unlikely. Unfortunately the car is stuffed in a spot where it was impossible to actually crawl under and investigate.

• 1 month later...