Sign in to follow this  
Matt Harwood

Is this permissible in the Hershey Car Corral?

[Reposted from the Hershey forum]

I attend Hershey each year as both an enthusiast and as a guy selling cars. I try to take interesting cars and set up in the car corral to talk to people and make new friends. We've sold one or two cars there in the past, but for the most part, it's a marketing program more than outright sales for us. I try to bring something reasonable that may sell and then something that has a big WOW factor to attract attention.

Anyway, this year I was thinking about bringing this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=214990&d=1379733394&thumb=1

Basically it's a gorgeous 1946 Dodge Power Wagon that's been nicely restored and looks almost completely stock. However, there's a modern Cummins turbo diesel inside. You can read the details here: http://www.vintagemotorcarsohio.com/...new.php?id=273

Anyway, the point isn't to sell it there, but to draw attention to the other cars I'm bringing. Two years ago, it was easy to say, "Meet me at the big, purple Isotta-Fraschini," and this year I was thinking the big red Dodge.

Is this an acceptable vehicle that's permissible at Hershey in the car corral? It's modified, but pretty stock on the outside yet I would certainly understand if someone were to call it a hot rod. Any official verdict before I start working out shipping for a truck that's 7 feet tall and weighs 6500 pounds?

Thanks!

Don't know if it's Hershey legal but that is one bitchin ride......................Bob

In the boating world they call that repowering and almost everyone seems fine with it. In the car world who knows. That is one nice looking truck though.

Hershey does NOT need a $124,900 Hot Rod pick up truck in the Car Corral any more tham a $4,900 Small Block Chevy powered Rat Rod. Bob

Matt, I think the truck is beautiful and very interesting. I would have to vote No for having it in the Hershey Car Corral though. Hershey is the last show that still features only original cars that I know of, and I hope it is always that way.

Sigh. Great truck, Matt, but I think I'd have to side with the "original" guys on here....once the modified cars are allowed at Hershey then it'll just be short block Chevy city....you've got other great cars to choose from...bring an original....

But also, as you say, would be good to hear an "official" answer from the Hershey region....

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My gut told me it wasn't right for Hershey and I, too, like that it is one of the last events for purely stock old vehicles. That's why I asked. Maybe I'll bring that 31 Chrysler roadster or the 29 Packard roadster instead. The truck is a real attention-grabber but it is very much modified and I don't want to cause trouble for the good folks who put on the show. Its the right choice, thanks for making it clearer for me to decide. I'll leave it home and bring something that is a better fit.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

People can do what they like with their own vehicles, but I would have been much more impressed with a company that did an accurate restoration to its original configuration. These pickups can be gorgeous when put back to showroom condition.

Matt was given an official answer in another thread and we appreciate his understanding of our rules. No the vehicle does not conform to the car corral regulations.

May not be Hershey material, but it would be allowed at several other big shows that cater to a wider audience. Keep Hershey as it is. There is always Jefferson or Iola in Wisconsin.

Funny thing Matt I think if you too take a full page ad out in the AACA magazine you could have a street rod out like the early ford V 8 panel truck in front of another dealers tent.