What to expect if the weather is bad.

stev1955

This will be my 3rd year going to Hershey and even though the wife and I don't live far away we're going to stay over and do two days this time. In the event of extremely bad weather what should we expect? I imagine a percentage of venders will always be there but what changes will we see? Thanks.

Most people try to tough it out, even in bad weather. If it's only your 3rd year, you missed out on the rain and mud we used to have, it seems like every year. But, us car guys, knowing Hershey is but once a year and not just a candy bar, sloshed through it, garbage bags as raincoats.

You'll see some vendors pack it up, and slightly less cars at the show, but it will still continue.....

Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. We're looking forward to it.

The first year I went to Hershey, in October of 2001, I arrived on a Friday, and it rained 3 inches that day. But, just trudging around in the mud (which is no longer a concern as the swap meet is on blacktop and has been since 2006), and going to the car show on Saturday, was enough to get me hooked. Have been there every year since, and wouldn't miss it for the world.

We have been very fortunate in that since the last year that the car show was on blacktop (the hurricane-heavy 2005), every year has been very pleasant on Saturday for the car show at the site of the old golf course off Hockersville Rd. I think only one morning there was a slight drizzle at dawn, and that cleared up rather quickly. No guarantee I know for what's in store in a couple of weeks, but the people will be there selling, and if it's a decent Saturday, there'll be the best collection of cars as they were meant to be--as they were straight from the factory. I would just bring the appropriate clothing and follow the Boy Scout rule of being prepared.

BTW, Hey Hey Heeeeyyy! What's happening overday?! I'm gonna have to bust out my copy of "Stronger Than Dirt" by Tom King and (what a great name for a band--hee hee) The Starfires!

I personally don't like umbrellas they drip where you don't want and you have to use a free hand to carry them. I bring a rain coat if I'm staying around my booth, but prefer a poncho for walking the flea market. You can tuck a flea market bag under it on your shoulder and it stays dry, you can carry things under them, just better all around. I always have several with me at the show and usually at least one with me. I carry one of those super thin, use once or twice kind in an inside pocket of my jacket that I usually wear, a bike poncho that packs pretty small in my flea market bag and a GI quality one in the truck if I now in advance that I need it. The GI issue one is my favorite but it is to heavy to carry if you are not wearing it. With no mud you just need low boots or pull over rubbers for your regular shoes (I miss the grass and mud).

I bought a new pair of high top mud boots to replace my old 5 buckle boots (that were a veteran of many Hersheys) just a couple of years before they paved everything, they still have some of the last Hershey mud on them in the basement.

One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years or so of attending car events. The accuracy of weather forecasts is very suspect the further out one is looking. Personally, I have found that weather forecasts tend to be the most accurate when one is looking only one or two days out. Any further out than that and the forecast is simply a guess on the part of the weather forecaster.

Kinda reminds me of the Fall Hershey meet in 2005. Long range forecast that year looked good. Day of the show I remember standing in the pouring rain on the show field. At least that year the show was on the blacktop at the Giant Center so we didn't have any mud to deal with.

Sure hope the weather for this year's Fall Hershey is dry and not too cold like that last few years. Would be nice to continue the string of nice weather we have enjoyed the last few years.

Thank You Hershey Region for ordering the latest extended weather forecast. It looks like 0% chance of rain for the week and temps around 70. I will have the top down upon entering the car show on Saturday. Nothing like coming in with the top down. See you then.

Looks like they've extended the showers from Monday to Tuesday but that's traveling day anyway. The rest of the week looks great.

Karen has stalled in the Gulf. It may not even rain on Monday at all, much less Tuesday. Weather looks to be perfect. :)

Well, as I've stated before, there WILL be weather during the Hershey meet.

Now, we just have to wait and see if dry or wet.

It doesn't matter. A few years ago I was walking the fields with a friend, and I said something like "gee I'm tired might rest for a few hours"... His comeback was .. Rest later, this is Hershey...

So, weather or....weather....keep going, it's Hershey....

2005 was my first time ever at Hershey. It seemed to me it only drizzled the day of the show after the way it rained in the car corral on Friday. I think that is the wettest I have ever been except by choice. By the way, the forecast I saw a few minutes ago said 70% rain Thursday and Friday and 30% Saturday.

Just got back from the swap meet and car corral. I can say there is and was a 100 percent chance of rain. The morning wasn't too bad with a few little misty showers. Afternoon turned into a pretty steady rain and most of the vendors gave up. I was surprised there were still as many shoppers around as I saw even when my wife convinced me to leave at 3:30. we had covered alot of it Wednesday and the vendors that weren't set up then I'm pretty sure weren't setting up in the rain. I dragged my feet though and we didn't get out until 4. Lets hope for a little dry weather in the morning atleast. Still looking to buy lots of NOS parts if anyone has any they want to move before they leave for home. PM me.

Guest my3buicks

Ghost town today at Hershey, mass exit of vendors this morning, on the bright side no crowds to wade through, just water. Thankfully there were a decent number of cars in the coral so that was enjoyable. Going to be a lot ofwater soaked/stained interiors though

Had over 5" of rain here in Lititz, east of Hershey and its still raining. Local TV station is reporting some flooding in the area. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. Chance of showers is predicted.

Terry

Wednesday was good, overcast and a little cool but lots of activity. Thursday was OK until about 2pm, then the rains came, and it rained all night, started again this morning. Very few vendors set up, as Keith said.....

It's funny to me that, in the old days, when there was dirt and mud, vendors stayed open and the show went on. Now, with the rain, I bet there wasn't an open vendor every 20 spaces.....

Guest my3buicks

I am thankful I am not putting a show car on the grass tomorrow, with the vast amounts of rain all grassy areas are swamp like.

Guest pn27416

Think more vendors then usual will stick around for Saturday to make up for the bad days? Or will they have given up and head for home. Bailed on today cause I was thinking it would be a waste. Will be there showing tomorrow but would love to cruise for "bargains".

I have found that I usually have my best sales days when it is raining. Maybe it is because a lot of the vendors don't open up in the rain. I usually sell Wednesday through Friday and then close up. On Saturday I judge, pick up some chocolate for the family at Chocolate World and then head home.

Today there just was not much business. There just were not enough people walking around to make it worth staying. I did walk around a bit more this morning in an attempt to find a few items but just got soaking wet. In the hour or so that I was setting up on Tuesday, I had lots of customers. I think they were trying to buy what they could before the rain arrived. My best sales day was in the rain on Thursday. Today was my worst sales day by far. I stayed till about noon and then I packed up what I had left and called it done for my vending for this year.

Guest my3buicks

I left around noon, I was the 2nd car in my parking row that had to leave by driving on the grass, the other was a Suburban in front of me, both the Suburban and my Outback substantially sunk in and I could feel the AWD working. I would think the water logged show field would be similar. Of course I may be biased as I think the show cars on the grass is asinine. Been there, done that, spent forever getting the grass and mud out of my wheel wells and tread.

The one thing the show field has going for it is that it was part of a golf course. Normally golf courses are designed to drain better than fields are. Of course with that much rain any area is going to be soggy. I intend to drive up from DC area tomorrow for the show. I hope I can get out of the show field without getting stuck.

Tough couple of days for sure. Dad and I still enjoyed the past couple of days, left early both days as the rain just kept coming - still managed to pick up a couple of MB books, a car cover for the SL and souviners for Mrs. Mack and the boy, and that's about it. Hoping for a break tomorrow, feel bad for the vendors and spoke to one gent who traveled from CA - oh well, you just make the best of it...

Missed several folks I wanted to catch up with but figured most people bugged out -

Saw some good deals in the car corral though, for those who braved the rains.

I walked on a few parts of the show field from the water company parking lot to the trees in the middle around 5pm Friday evening. That part of the field was in surprisingly good shape and was solid under foot. Did not have time to walk the whole field so take my findings for what they are worth. No way of knowing what the field is like in other areas or what it will be like after cars drive on it on Saturday morning.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk now Free