Sign in to follow this  
ol' yeller

Front Strut Question

I've decided to bite the bullet and replace my front struts. My car has 92K miles on it and the left front is leaking pretty badly, Is it also necessary to replace the strut bushings with a strut replacement? How can I tell if mine need to be replaced? I'd like to save the $100 if I can. Thanks!

Greg

I always swap out the mounts at the same time. Reason? Labor to remove the struts to get at the mounts and then you will need another alignment. Cheaper to do them both at the same time.

Greg -

I agree with Dave, if you replace the struts and get a wheel alignment and you are not pleased then replace the bushings would mean another wheel alignment. So the 2nd wheel alignment would almost have paid for replacing the bushings originally. You won't be sorry for replacing the strut bushings.

Woody

I took mine in for an alignment this spring after replacing a bunch of components. The tech asked me why I replace the strut mounts. I said because they were 20+ years old. He basically told me the new ones today are junk, and he tries to rejuvinate the factory mounts when possible. He sited poor overall construction and quality control issues as the main reasons.

There are lots of vendors who are selling strut mounting kits and the prices are all over the lot. I assume that the quality of each manufacturer varies widely as well. I have found that there are only a few manufacturers of Reatta struts, with Monroe's being the easiest to find by far. I am going with the Monroe brand mounting kit to match the struts I purchased through Ronnie's Reatta Store.

I've replaced front in strocks a few times on my 89 Buick Park Avenue 1st timeI went with :all in one preassembled strut, mount, flexible shaft guard and bottoming out absorber. 2nd Time I just replaced the struts and reused the mounts, shaft guards, rubber impact absorbption block. Bad choice not to replace the whole kit and kaboodle at once. Becase now struts are fine but mounts are groaning and in need of replacement. I understand you cant get the "preassembled strut/spring/mount " package. But I would certainley recommend replacing the entire strut set up system