Turn signal flasher

I need help finding a correct modern flasher for my 56 Buick..I currently have a 550 in there but the dash indicators won't light up..they did before...I tried an electronic version of the 550...E13...no lights worked...I just bought a Tung Sol p273D but I'd really like to have an electronic flasher where everything works.

Guest shadetree77

Hmmm...on the advice of a fellow forum member I replaced my old tung sol unit in my '52 with an E13 this summer. He uses his in a '55. So far it has worked wonderfully. My old tung sol unit kept shorting out. Maybe you have a problem with your wiring or your fuses/fuse panel. Could be a loose ground wire somewhere too.

Well i got curious and tried two other 550 flashers..the first one had the same reaction..flashed ok but no dash lights...the second new one worked perfect so I bought it and its been fine..still don't know why the e13 won't do a thing on it...checked wiring and all seems fine..new fuse...for now the new 550 is still behaving.

1956322:

I had the exact problem you are having with my 1955 Century. I could not get the turn indicator lights on the dash to work. The turn signal lights at the rear and front of the car worked great, but no dash indicator lights. I first tried another Tung Sol P273D and no luck. Then I purchased a Tridon 910-64046 3-prong electronic flasher, no luck. So I then knew I had a wiring problem. Sure enough, one of the sockets for the flasher prongs had come loose. Must have happened when I pushed one of the Tung Sol flashers back in. So you might want to check the sockets for the flasher itself.

I have had no problems with this electronic flasher, works great.

• 4 years later...

Spent too much time over the Holidays trying to get the dash turn signal indicator lights to work on my 55 Century so I thought I would revive and add to this old posting.

Like the posts above, the signals work fine, front and rear, but the dash indicators have not worked since I've owned the car.

Made sure the connections were good and was able to get the lights to work by putting power to the indicator circuit.

I tried 2 different 3 prong 550 style signal flasher units without success (NAPA and Buss). The car had a Tung Sol 222 unit in it.

It turns out that the cause is that the battery and load terminals are in the reverse position for the plug in the fuse panel. The 3 terminals on the 550 are "X" to the battery, "P" to the dash indicator lights and "L" for the signal lights. A simple spade connector jumper can reverse the X and L into the fuse panel.

IMG_3665 (4).jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

Edited by HarleyEarlFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huh very interesting..I did find a 550 that worked I went through three or four on the shelf same brand none worked right until that third one...I  had  tried a few different brands of electronic ones and none worked in any regard... Now flash forward a few years..550 flasher went out.. Decided to try an electronic one again as my local O'Reilly had a different brand I hadn't seen before.. Worked like a champ.. No idea why the other electronic ones wouldn't work but this new one works perfect

I’m sure it has to do with how the different flashers are wired internally. There are quite a few posts in different forums with similar findings.....same model and some work, some don’t.

I do know that I went from three flashers that didn’t make the indicator lights work to now having 3 that do.

Of course, I also could have waited and ordered the factory correct flasher but that would have been too easy ?

Bill

• Like 1