V12 oil capacity with new filter

Beltfed

I have read that 4 quarts of oil is low and 5 quarts is full for the v12. I have pulled the oil pan for cleaning, also cleaned the remote oil filter canister plus new filter. Does the 5 quarts bring the oil level up to normal operating level with 5 quarts? If not how much more should I add? Thanks

Guest 65Starfire
Looks like 5 quarts for the engine, 6 total if filter replaced. [ATTACH=CONFIG]214594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]214595[/ATTACH]

Note the oil change interval 1000 miles in summer and 500 miles in winter. Given modern driving amounts you would change the oil 15-20 times a year!

I sure am glad oil technology has improved!

Actually I can't say how many quarts I've used - just fill it up till the red float indicator says full on the gauge. Here is another source that states 5 quarts, but does not mention anything about the filter. (1940 Lincoln-Zephyr V-12 Model 06H REPAIR and TUNE-UP MANUAL; lower right corner).

post-45349-143142196686_thumb.jpeg

Well, the reason I ask is I've decided to run a dipstick instead of the float. I want to be able to check not only the level but also the state of the oil (burnt or milky, etc.). In order to 'set' the marks on the dipstick I would need not only the add mark but also the full mark. As most modern engine manuals state the amount of oil added differs if you do or do not replace the filter I am trying to get it right. If the manual for this engine (which I don't have) says 5 quarts with new filter that would be fine. Back in the day changing the filter with EVERY oil change was necessary but I don't know. Thanks

Ken, the oil in the filter does not drain back into the crackcase when you shut off the engine. Oil only flows thru the filter when the engine is running. The 5 quart capacity of the oil pan is unaffected by the filter. It would probably be best to mark the dip stick before running the engine by adding 3, 4, and 5 quarts and marking the stick for each interval. Oil flow thru the filter is very slow and restricted on these old by-pass systems. After a "dry" system start up the pan level will go down a little but you're still well within the safe range.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Realizing this is a dated thread, but what oil weight do you use for your 76H?  I find it difficult to find the SAE 30 that my manual suggests. Any insight is appreciated!Realizing this is a dated thread, but what oil weight do you use for your 76H?  I find it difficult to find the SAE 30 that my manual suggests. Any insight is appreciated!

When you use a multi-viscosity oil (10W 30 or any oil that has 2 weights), the second number is the viscosity equivalent of the oil when it is hot. The 10W is the equivalent of 10W weight oil cold and the 30 means that the oil would have the equivalent viscosity of 30 weight oil when hot. This "magic" is done with the viscosity improvers that were developed to give better cold and hot protection to the engine.

I would not use a single viscosity oil in any car, there are designed to lubricate the small air cooled engines and are not suitable for automobile engines. I use 10W 30 in both my 40 Mercury and my 53 Lincoln. I tried heavier oils (20w 50 and 20W 40) in my 40 Mercury and found that the engine runs cooler with the 10W 30 oil.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, @19tom40.  Much appreciated.  During the oil change I came to find out that my oil filter (Napa 1126) is no longer in production.  Other v12 owners, what filter do you use?  I tried the Fram C4P, but it did not fit due to having a flat bottom.  Any insight is appreciated!