Transmission Removal - '40 Cabriolet

Ron K.

If we could plow this field one more time. The rear axle assembly has been completely removed and I would now like to remove the transmission for repair and replace the clutch assembly while I have the car in pieces. From what I have read, I can remove the transmission up through the floor by using an engine hoist. Any further tips on removing the rear tranny support/mount, hoisting the trans up or additional information on clutch removal and replacement would be deeply appreciated. Thanks to all of you that contributed to all of the earlier threads that I have read. I am still looking for a shop to work on the transmission, wish I was in Oklahoma from reading about Jim.

Ron

I was able to pull the transmission up through the floor with the engine removed, but haven't tried it with the torque tube out and the engine in place. If you don't have an overdrive, the tranny is probably light enough for you to lift out without a hoist. Removing the mounts is a snap - just two bolts. I suspect you'll have to jack up the rear of the engine to provide clearance so you can wiggle the spline free from the clutch. Looking at mine (transmission in, engine out), there is just enough clearance between the tranny and the floor boards to back it out. With the tranny out you should have enough access to pull the pressure plate and clutch. -Dave

There was good clearance to bring it up through the floor opening and did not need a hoist to lift it out. I had to use a porta-power to move the engine/transmission away from the brake/clutch shaft (I did not want to deal with removing the bracket) and then used a floor jack under the clutch housing to lift the transmission enough to give clearance of the cross member to slide the transmission aft so that the spline would slide out of the fly wheel/clutch. In hind sight, I probably could have pulled the brake/clutch support shaft out after unbolting the transmission but was concerned about bending stuff when I lifted the engine/transmission.