Questions re: 1922 Buick touring car

crazycars

Recently acquired a four door, 1922 Buick touring car with 4 cylinder motor. This car is somewhat rough and missing such things as the seat springs, distrib cap, hood support, h. l. lenses, gas tank. Still, a very neat car with potential. I plan to search for these items at the Hershey meet, however, I do have a couple of questions which I'm hoping someone can answer:

1. What size tires does the car take? (mine are missing).

2. Where is the battery box located?

3. Does the positive battery cable attach to a terminal in the starter/generator unit?

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

According to the 1922 Buick Showroom brochure, the 4 cylinder models used 31 x 4 straight side cord tires.

I have a 6 cylinder model, and the battery box is under the floor between the gear shift lever and the right front door.

Again, on my 6 cylinder, the positive battery cable attached to directly to the starter/generator. It connects to the terminal on the side facing the rear of the car, near the top.

Hope that this helps.

p.s. - follow the threads here and join the Pre-War Division - great people and great information.

Assuming you have a left hand drive model, the battery box is under the front floor, right side. At least that's where my 1923 6 cylinder battery is. If the battery box is gone, there should still be two very heavy hangers coming off the frame rail toward the center of car with two threaded studs for the battery hold downs. I had to make a battery hanging box for my car out of heavy gauge sheet metal since the bottom third of my box was gone.

4 cylinder guys, keep me honest here.

Also as a reminder. 6 volts systems take a heavier gauge battery cable than a 12v system, about twice the cross sectional total area of a 12v cable.

Assuming you have a left hand drive model, the battery box is under the front floor, right side. At least that's where my 1923 6 cylinder battery is. If the battery box is gone, there should still be two very heavy hangers coming off the frame rail toward the center of car with two threaded studs for the battery hold downs. I had to make a battery hanging box for my car out of heavy gauge sheet metal since the bottom third of my box was gone.

4 cylinder guys, keep me honest here.

Also as a reminder. 6 volts systems take a heavier gauge battery cable than a 12v system, about twice the cross sectional total area of a 12v cable.

Thank you much for taking the time to help. I just priced those 31 x 4 tires. YIKES!!!

Try Universal tires...; they may be a bit less...

31x4 Universal Ribbed Blackwall

Description

Our straight ribbed style tires have been known for their smooth quiet ride and positive steering characteristics. Original design from 1909 through the teens. Micro-siped!

Details/Options

SKU U79697

Construction Tube Type 4 Ply Nylon

Load Capacity 1000 @ 60 psi

Overall Diameter 32.00"

Tread Width 3.00"

Notes:

$255.00

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

If you do go to the Hershey car show, Universal Tire usually has a large flee market space with most of their tire sizes also.

At least your tire cost is inline with the cost of good quality tires for a modern car. Your lucky you don't need a set of Michelin TRX 220/55VR390 metrics $$$ like my BMW 633 uses.

Visit my website at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze114b79/

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

If you do go to the Hershey car show, Universal Tire usually has a large flee market space with most of their tire sizes also.

At least your tire cost is inline with the cost of good quality tires for a modern car. Your lucky you don't need a set of Michelin TRX 220/55VR390 metrics $$$ like my BMW 633 uses.

Visit my website at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze114b79/

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Nice cars, Bob!!

My 1922 Buick coupe 4 cylinder uses 32 x 4 1/2 tires. Did different models of the same year and engine use different size tires? When you buy the tires don't forget the inner tubes and flaps. They too will bring the cost up. You will need to decide if you want metal stem or rubber stem tubes.

Cheers,

Gary

Gary,

Yes, you can mount different sizes on the same rim/wheel within reason. Tire suppliers can help you determine what will fit. But basically, you can double the width and subtract it from the diameter to determine the rim size. By changing that formula, you can figure what tire sizes will fit your rim/wheel size and see if they are available.

From the beginning Buick 1922 4cyl.models used 31x4 =23" but 32x4,5=23" can also be used but they are a little bit higher and wider but not much.Look at 22Coupe and see all the other you have to think about too.(33x5=23" are to high to use on a 4 cyl.model even if they will fit on the 23" rim)

Leif in Sweden

Guest Phil Cordery
From the beginning Buick 1922 4cyl.models used 31x4 =23" but 32x4,5=23" can also be used but they are a little bit higher and wider but not much.Look at 22Coupe and see all the other you have to think about too.(33x5=23" are to high to use on a 4 cyl.model even if they will fit on the 23" rim)

Leif in Sweden

Dont make that basic mistake of buying tyres for a restoration project, Tyres should be the very last purchase you make, I have seen dozens of restoration projects with loads to do sitting on a nice new set of tyres, cracks soon develop & time passes very quickly on these projects.

All this tire business is quite interesting! I had no idea about this size thing. I just assumed my '22 coupe came with 32 x 4 1/2 tires. From the 1922 brochure mentioned above I gather the car came with 31 x 4 tires. Would the appearance of my coupe be more appropriate with the 31 x 4 tires? Looking at photos taken with the current tires seems fine. Another thought here, being a 4 cylinder it surely is no speed demon, but with 31 x 4 tires would there be a slight increase in speed from a stand still? I am absolutely fine with the car the way it is. I did not buy the car to alter it, but want it as factory correct as possible. Hence my need to know what the correct tire size is. Either way I won't be changing these current tires till they are worn out or severely cracked. I did not start this thread, but thanks to all for this valuable information.

Cheers,

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
Gary,

My 22-35 has 30 x 3 1/2 tires on it: 30 - (3.5 + 3.5) = 23

That is a 1909-1925 Model T tire. Used ones should be cheap and plentiful

Dwight

Thank you , Dwight. (I just noticed this post). This makes perfect sense and should work. In my case, I DID luck out, however, and was able to purchase a set of new tires, exact size, tubes and flaps from a BCA member who no longer needed them and at a great price.

Your observation about the Model T tires is super. I outfitted my 20 Maxwell with them.