CADILLAC MOTOR CAR DIVISION

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION

DETROIT MICH.

STYLE No 40-6019s

BODY No 1753

TRIM No 54

PAINT No 1 -6w

BODY BY FLEETWOOD

This vehicle was donated to a Museum by a man with a New York address. I can not find any information about him online to contact him with questions. It now has an Ohio title with a VIN number listed. From my understanding, VIN numbers were not given to cars until 1954. The Ohio title does list this as a 1940 Cadillac, Sixty Series Special, 2-Door Coupe.

Of course, I've read the ID plate and it indicates a SEDAN. So here are my questions:

Has anyone ever seen a picture of the Sixty Special Coupe reportedly built for and driven by Bill Knudsen for two years?

Is there EVER a listing for a Sixty Special Coupe built any year from 1938-1941? (Since I don't have a reference book)

If Bill Knudsen actually did have one built for himself as a one-off, does anyone know for certain the year, as I saw he had a one-off built in 1938 (I believe if I remember correctly it was a V16)?

Could there be a possibility that the ID Plate would show 6019S, on a coupe, if there were never actually any other coupes built because it was a one of a kind so maybe the Plate would not have reflected coupe?

Also, would purchasing a Build Sheet on this vehicle give me any more information that will help me identify this car?

Thanks everyone for considering these questions along with me.

DCarGirl

Edited by DCarGirl (see edit history)

Guest DCarGirl

I will check for a build sheet, but I do know that the museum had the seats recovered and it appears the headline was replace at that time (my guess because of material and color), so it may not be there. I believe the car has also been repainted, as the Paint No is 1 (which I believed to be black, and this car is a green color) ... looking at that id plate, I can not figure out what the -6w to the right of the Paint No is for, either.

This Cadillac is definitely a custom. A 6019S is the model code for a 60 Special and they were all four door sedans. It also looks like it has been shortened to make it a coupe of some sort. It looks a bit stubby looking.

This is what it probably started out as.

post-77797-143142190784_thumb.jpg

Guest oldthudman

http://www.whitepages.com/?site_id=15277&gclid=CJGX8vGxy7kCFSho7Aod6HoA8g

http://www.whitepages.com/name/Aol

Put the man's address and name if you have it and see if a telephone number come ups.........You may have to join/pay a fee to get it.........Call or write him for information..........

It surprises me that a person would give a car to a museum without any paperwork/information/etc.

The car is obviously a "one off" which was common in those days for sure.........In the early 1950's Chrysler built a car for an executive and everyone like it so much eventually (Chrysler 6 + plus 12 Ghia builds)18 were built in total........I'm talking about the Thomas Special.....

Guest DCarGirl

Going back to take a look at it so that I can measure the wheel base. The gentleman's name is unique and I still can't find him ... he may have already passed for all I know. That was 5 years ago. The car was transferred via a bill of sale into the museum's possession. I don't know if the museum had any other authentication for this car. I wondered if the supposed one-off built for Knuden (which I've not yet seen a picture of) was listed anywhere as a coupe.