Help with a Chrysler 1937_____ info needed

Guest kkroyea

attached are pictures of a 1937 Chrysler ________. we are looking to sell it but we havent been able to figure out what kind of a Chrysler or what a car in this condition could be worth. if you have any insite it would be greatly appreicated. thank you.

post-96439-143142189671_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189272_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189301_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189325_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189598_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189623_thumb.jpeg

post-96439-143142189647_thumb.jpeg

Guest Henry White

I believe that model is an Airstream. Location will effect value some. Being rough I would give a rough estimate of between $1500 and $2500 Just my opinion. Depends how the motor is, etc. Very hard to estimate value online.

It's probably worth more for parts than as a whole car. Looks like the top insert gave up and trashed the interior and probably floor pans. Expensive to try to restore but from the pictures very straight and complete so a nice find for someone needing parts / parts car. I would say the estimate is probably about right. Ask the higher end but be prepared to take the lower

I would post it on the airstream section of this site. I know there are a few guys who need parts.

Doing a 30 second websearch, I found this example of a reasonably well restored 1935 Airstream for sale (I have nothing to do with this car or advertisement) with an asking price of $17,500. That means that you can likely bargain it down to $15,000 or perhaps a bit more depending on how good a haggler you are. http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1935_Chrysler_Airstream_187050438 It really depends on the condition of the engine in your car, as well as all of the steel including floor pans, other mechanicals such as suspension, brakes, fuel tank, drive shaft, wiring harness, interior (seats, side panels, dashboard, instruments) etc. etc. but my first thought is that the cost to take your project car up to such a comparable 'decent driver but not trophy winning' condition would likely be a fair bit more than that amount. It might be worth more for whatever parts can be found on it that are in good useable condition.

I can't comment on the value, but it seems straight as an arrow. From the pix, rot and rust seems to not be an issue. It probably would be expensive to restore but it seems to be a good candidate for an old car to "fix up". Replace the interior, even if its Mexican blankets, new glass, throw some tires on it, do the brakes, give it a good detailing and drive it. This is assuming it can be made to run. Every old car doesn't need to be a Pebble Beach car. I could have a ton of fun in that Chrysler

Guest Henry White

OP, please give us more info on condition, location, etc. Rust will be the deciding factor, as with any car. I cant see much of the floorboards, but I dont see any daylight down there. I dont see any rust holes, but the car is only 3-4 inches long on my screen. The fact that there is some upholstery left indicates it may not be so bad. These were beautiful cars and not many were produced. Motor can be replaced if necessary, if the body isnt too rusted the car should be saved if possible.

Sadly, as stated above, the car is probably worth more in parts than whole. But to cut it up means another one gone forever, much would go to waste too. Imagine that car in concours condition, maybe royal blue with a lil red pin striping, mmm.

The market is really down right now compared to 10 years ago. Things just dont bring what they should.

I do see if you blow up the RH side photo some pretty heavy rust out to the Fender and running board. Almost like it was buried in the ground. I think the only reason you don't see day light through the floor is the old rubber floor mat is still in it as well as a layer of moss? With the amount of moss on that body and tree stains it spent quite some time in a damp backyard or very poor old garage. I could be wrong but I've looked at enough photos of cars that I have then looked at in person to see what the true condition is. I think you would spend alot of money to bring this to a respectable condition. There was a nice driveable 1936 Airstream needing minor brake work for sale in the Airstream section not long ago for around 9,000. You would spend a lot more than that to get this one to that shape.

Original Airstream engines were unique to the 1934-1936 era and if you want a good original correct airstream motor you may be hard pressed to find good one. As far as I know main bearings are not available for them. The motor was only shared with the Desoto for those 3 years. I still say it's a great parts car but that's probably it. Somewhat Rare but not super desirable.