dynaflow fluid change

EUGENE

Don't try to flush.

Dump fluid and clean the screen. You will find it less messy than later transmisisons because the filler tube comes off the side of the pan and the fluid comes out.

After 100 miles, do it again. The fresh fluid sometimes breaks up crud that will then go collect on the screen, so clean it every time (or at least look at it).

Use Dexron III. Use that in the Power Steering also.

GM does not license Dexron III any more, only Dexron VI, so you will find the stuff labeled in a slightly different way, like Dex/Merc, and that it meets the Dexron III spec.

You can use the more expensive Dexron VI, if you want to, but I would recommend you spend that money on more Dexron III and change it 2 or 3 times, 100 miles apart.

Don't over-tighten the pan bolts. Go back after some time though, like 500 miles, and check them. They are usually loose and you can snug them back up.

Check the cooler lines also, where they go into the transmisison. I don't know why, but I find them loose on a lot of cars and the source of leaks. People think they have a bog problem and it turns out to be a couple of cooler lines.

Slow engagement into gear is an internal leak due to seals not sealing very well any more. With fresh fluid and use, they sometime clear up so just change the fluid and drive it. See what happens.

Don't over-fill the transmission. This fluid expands a lot when it gets hot. It should barely be showing on the tip of the dip stick when cold. Check with engine running, in Park. The only sure way to check it is hot, though, so get it close and then go drive it for about 20 miles or so, then check it again.

I have to ask, is it really a good idea after all this time to replace all of the fluid? I'm just asking since I received advice about 10 years ago with my 63 to change out some of the fluid, not all of it. The reasoning was that the new fluid will have stronger detergents in it and you don't know what effects it will have on the internals.

I have to ask, is it really a good idea after all this time to replace all of the fluid? I'm just asking since I received advice about 10 years ago with my 63 to change out some of the fluid, not all of it. The reasoning was that the new fluid will have stronger detergents in it and you don't know what effects it will have on the internals.

Just dropping the pan and taking what comes out of there will not get it all. It will leave a lot in the torque converter and the cooler lines.

The new fluid will break some stuff loose. Clean the screen and don't run too long with it between cleanings and changes.