'71 Eldorado Repaint Advice

egor

I recently bought a '71 Eldorado convertible from a restorer with a supposedly sterling reputation. Based on a phone conversation and some photos (and his reputation), I bought the car and had it transported cross-country. When I took delivery, the car had some issues the seller neglected to disclose, one of which was that it looked like the car had been repainted, when the seller had told me it hadn't. After a "candid" phone discussion in which the seller wouldn't give an inch, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to take legal action, but I definitely wanted to get the car looking better. I compared the color of the car with a '71 Caddy color chart, and the paint in the usual inaccessible places didn't at all match the color the seller had described, so I checked the ID plate. Not only has the car been repainted in other than the factory color, the color doesn't match anything the factory put on '71 Cadillacs. At this point, I'm on the fence as to have it repainted in a stock color with the extra expense of having the door jambs, under the hood, etc., painted to match, or just have it shot with the color that's on it, which is actually pretty attractive and appropriate for the era. The factory color code is 16, gray, which I wouldn't even consider. Seeing as this isn't a high-value car, would shooting it in a stock color, with the extra expense of painting door jambs, etc., likely be recovered if I sell it? I've always owned much older cars where it would make a definite difference in sales price. How about a '71 Eldo?

I would pick a '71 Cadillac color that I liked and then bite the bullet - have the whole car resprayed, including door jambs, under the hood, etc. In the long run, you would feel better and the car would be easier to sell. Don't know if you would recover the cost of paint. That depends on the quality of the paint job.

I am all for originality also, so I would go with an original 71 Cadillac color with an addition caveat. If not the original gray, I would make sure the chosen color was originally a combination available with the interior color you have.

Visit my personal website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

70s Eldorados are comparatively common and don't go for huge money. Anything you spend on repainting it will most likely be wasted, as far as putting more into the car than you can get out.

How bad is the old paint job? A good bodyman and painter can touch up, or blow in any flaws so you hardly can find them. If it is not too beat up, this may be a better deal than a complete repaint.

Guest my3buicks

I have to ask how you bought a 71 Eldorado without knowing that it was or wasn't a factory color?? That is pretty basic stuff when purchasing a car.

Seller is widely considered an expert, and told me it was factory original paint. It looked like it might've been a faded factory job. Just goes to show, you can't trust anybody. I should've hired an appraiser.

I have to ask how you bought a 71 Eldorado without knowing that it was or wasn't a factory color?? That is pretty basic stuff when purchasing a car.

Seller is widely considered an expert, and told me it was factory original paint. It looked like it might've been a faded factory job. Just goes to show, you can't trust anybody. I should've hired an appraiser.

I wouldn't trust the appraiser much either. (see the story about the Dodge brothers that's being batted around on the forums) I would stick with doctoring up whatever you have for paint unless this is your dream car you plan to have for years. Another paint job done correct will require stripping the original paint and all the trim. Unless you have a friend that works cheap paint jobs now start at 5,000 from what I have been told and go up fast. How many purists will be looking at this car when there are others available.

Without knowing what you paid, say you gave 10,000 for the car and put 5,000 into for paint. You will now have a 15,000 car to sell rather than a 10,000. A 10,000 car is alot easier to sell. Just something to think about. It's almost cheaper to sell this car and buy one with better paint than to invest in a new paint job.