We Love Sedan Deliveries

Guest Magoo

The Federal Government bought sedan deliveries well into the seventies. The later ones had a station wagon body with a factory-installed cargo platform instead of a rear seat. Some of the ones I've seen were 1968 Fairlanes (very basic with 3-on-the-tree), 1973 Satellites, and even top-of-the-line '76 Plymouth Sport Suburbans. I bought two of the Sport Suburbans at auction and they had wood grain sides and deluxe interiors, but the load platform instead of back seats!

I agree, Magoo; they are very special, with usually the graceful lines and curves of the passenger cars incorporated into the box section (quite unlike the panels, which are also cool). Is there a source for the numbers of the various sedan deliveries produced? They seem to usually have very low numbers. I browsed upon a 1937 Plymouth SD for sale the other day. Does anyone know how many of these were produced? Only one I have seen in years of interest in such things.

Hey, Magoo, thanks a bunch for this ! The sedan deliveries are near the top of my list for "cool" vehicles ! I've had 3 so far, a 59 Thames, a 64 Falcon, and a 58 Ford. Your pics are great and as usual, I linked your site to our little car club over here. I also want to tell anyone else interested in these to just get on Google, click on "images" and type in sedan delivery, (or the name brand delivery or van of your choice if you are "focused"). There are a bunch of really nice ones still out there ! I tried to buy Falcon sedan deliveries while still a teen from Swift Packing Co. in Knoxville, Tenn., National Cash Register Co., and Union Carbide Corp. in Oak Ridge, Tenn. Union Carbide and the city of Oak Ridge also had some others, seems like 60 Chevys, one Lark, and even a few 55 or 56 Fords! The manager of the National Cash Register Company said he would save one out for me when they got ready to get rid of them, but I moved to Texas......... Oh well, got a "junkie" one later anyhow ! Thanks again for your great site, John

P.S. LOVE the Lark !

Who loves sedan deliveries? Everybody! They're just neat, that's all. Here's a little pictorial history with some unusual photos...

Another Look at Sedan Deliveries | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

v4zs.jpg

3b5p.jpg

The charming image above of the blue Ford Falcon delivery is from a French advertisement, of all things. It appears they were officially exported to France. Would be interesting to learn how they sold there.

• 1 month later...