1990 Reatta convertible top replacement

Guest JAM329

Need to replace my convertible top on my 1990 Reatta. Online stores offer two different types, but don't explain the difference very well. The choices are pocket or no pocket? Which type is considered original? Thanks.

Do a search and you will find earlier post from people with the same questions.

There are several companies that make a good replacement top and all offer them in the correct colors (if you are staying stock) The back window can be an issue on the bargin tops. We have heard of one company that offers a top without a rear window and you or your installer are supposed to transfer your old window to the new one.......don't even consider doing that.

Others have plastic, back windows, again a way of offering a cheaper top.

Choices are material: cloth (better) or vinyl (less expensive)

with liner or without

rear window: none, vinyl, glass, or heated glass.

color: whilte, black, dark blue, dark red, tan.

So 2x2x4x5 or 80 combinations

My next top will be cloth/heated glass/no liner (current is good)/deep red (car is white with deep red interior)

Question: better to install new top befor or after having car painted ?

I have replaced three Reatta tops [and countless other convertible tops]. The EZ-On top I ordered from Kingsley was a perfect fit and the workmanship was flawless. I have tried to install a Reatta top with the plastic window and it looked like crap. If you really want to be happy with your new top------talk to Kingsley. And while I'm talken' tops; I've read on this forum that the installation of a Reatta top should be left to the so called "pros". The fit of the EZ-On top is so good that it is a DIY project--------go to Ronnie's sight!

The top installation is best left to the pros. It's not a matter of the fitment of the new top, but more the condition of the current top assembly, and the skill level of the installer.

Around here, we can have any Reatta top installed for $400. At that price, you're better off leaving it to the professionals. If you break something in the top, it's not easy or cheap to replace.

The cream of the crop (and what we suggest) is the cloth top with the heated glass window. All of our tops have the windows already installed (double stitched) and come with a lifetime warranty on the adhesion of the window to the top.

You can see the fitment of one of our tan cloth tops on our own convertible here: 1990-1991 Buick Reatta Convertible Tops

I personally have never seen tops offered with out without "pockets". We've had dozens of our tops installed by upholsters across the country without any issue.

We also suggest, for those who like their cars the way the designers intended, that you add a color keyed headliner. These headliners match the interior or your car, and get rid of the "cave" look that the factory headliners cause.

Weather you want cloth or vinyl, plastic or glass back window, all of our tops are custom made to order. We've never had one of our tops take more than 4 weeks. Ever.

We've had countless customers call just to tell us how happy they are with their new top. "Why didn't I do this sooner?" they ask! "The color keyed headliner adds a whole new dimension!" is what our customer Dan in Florida said last friday when he called.

So shop around, check your options, but in the long run, the tried and true methods tend to work out the best. You get what you pay for.

Guest steveskyhawk

The car in my signature has has an EZ-ON top which is the brand Marck sells. This car got a color keyed headliner in suede with a matching rear shelf cover. My gunmetal grey convertible got a color keyed grey headliner also.

post-53748-143142186295_thumb.jpg

Steve,

So, what are you trying to show us here? All I can see is the inside of a hanger with a triple-stack tool box set against the wall. Quite possibly a *Kobalt* brand with the ball-bearing/locking drawers, set under the wingtip of a Cessna.

I've found that those magnetic parts dishes, like that attached to the side of the box, come in real handy.

John F.

Guest Kingsley

my3buicks - nice comment about the Electron top. Several years ago there was a very lively, long discussion about the merits of the Electron top as a replacememt for the Reatta. In the discussion, the Electron top was trashed substantially and the merit of the EZ On top was lauded. The fellow also claimed to be the only supplier of an EZ On top that had significant advantages over all other EZ On tops. All of this was hogwash - there is only one EZ On top for the Reatta and that is the one that Marck and I both sell.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has an Electron top on a Reatta. Judging from what you say, it must be quite good.

I get nothing but rave notices from my customers who have bought the EZ On top. EZ On's delivery is great, their customer support is extremely good and their overall warranties our outstanding. A lot of good info on www.ezonauto.com.

Kingsley

Reatta Specialty Parts

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk

"Steve,

So, what are you trying to show us here?"

That is a picture of the ""b" piller on my gunmetal convertible. It shows a little of the color keyed grey headliner but more importantly the snaps I added to that flap that is always coming loose. The velcro never holds. Riding down the road with the window down and that flap loose is not cool. Snaps are the cure.

For the DIYers: Attempting to install your own top is foolhearty. You cannot buy the same spray on adhesive in a rattle can that the shops buy in bulk. Your Reatta is not the car to learn on. If any part of the top frame structure is damaged or broken it will cost you an arm and a leg to fix it. There are only a handful of tops frames in the posession of us parts vendors. I have only two available for parts salvage. I dont want to sell these parts. It is money well spent to pay the experienced pro to install your top.

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-143142187547_thumb.jpg

my3buicks - nice comment about the Electron top. Several years ago there was a very lively, long discussion about the merits of the Electron top as a replacememt for the Reatta. In the discussion, the Electron top was trashed substantially and the merit of the EZ On top was lauded. The fellow also claimed to be the only supplier of an EZ On top that had significant advantages over all other EZ On tops. All of this was hogwash - there is only one EZ On top for the Reatta and that is the one that Marck and I both sell.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has an Electron top on a Reatta. Judging from what you say, it must be quite good.

I get nothing but rave notices from my customers who have bought the EZ On top. EZ On's delivery is great, their customer support is extremely good and their overall warranties our outstanding. A lot of good info on www.ezonauto.com.

Kingsley

Reatta Specialty Parts

I have not seen one on a Reatta so can't speak for that top, but the Electron brand is known throughout the industry as one of the best, and I would find it difficult to believe that the Reatta one would not be of the same fit, quality, and standards of the rest of their tops. I do know come time to replace mine that is what I will use drawing off my past experience with their tops. I have owned or been involved in 9 different convertibles that Electron tops were installed, and the fit, finish, and durability have been exceptional.