removing transmission questions

Joeys1942

Hey everyone, so I will start my 42 Cabriolet restoration soon, and I stopped by this shop yesterday who told me to remove the (37 or 38 zepher trans) there's a rear link that needs to be pulled out. My plans were to just pull the engine sand trans out separately at home but he sure tried to sell me that it was a lot more complicated and he should put it on a lift and lower it...so I'm reaching out for opinions and thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Joeys1942 (see edit history)

Guest zazothex

I pulled engine & trans separately, but I was doing a near complete teardown, so already was missing the floor pans and all the engine compartment components (linkages, steering, firewall boltons, &c.) There's some debate on the gross weight of both engine & trans around here, but I'm being careful and guessing around 900+ pounds for the pair. So be aware of that when choosing a cherrypicker. I managed to get the trans out from below with a couple of floor jacks and a few well-placed 2x4s. If I remember, the hardest thing was clearing the wishbone & getting it to drop behind the front crossmember.

I have always pulled the transmission from the top. Either pull the rear end and slide it back and then lift the transmission out or if there was engine work I would pull the motor and then lift out the transmission. never all in one unit. Pulling the seat and floor boards was always the easiest to get to all the bolts. Le Waldren Ft. Myers,Fl.