'90 Coupe Ignition Switch

Guest Kingsley

Guest Kingsley

Afer doing some diagnosis work, one of my problems involves a "No crank, no start" situation and the ignition switch has power input but nothing coming out in any of its various positions.

If we assum that all of the mechanical action through the linkage, lock cylinder downward, is good, can the switch be replaced without going through all of the many steps per the FSM. Putting it another way, can I just drop the column and replace the switch?

Kingsley,

It's been almost a decade since I did any work on a steering column so, I don't remember whether or not the switch can be replaced while the column is still mounted or not. Even if it can, you would still have to bend like Gumby* to get to it. Maybe another poster can chime in here.

John F.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnpNxNVQ406Wt6RVsZarWqmbwPvWoTZGdB7B-UqufzEAA9jwWdbg

* Not this Gumby.... the other Gumby.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

Guest Kingsley

My diagnostic instinct got the best of me so I now have the ignition switch disconnected and ready for some quick study. As I run through the switch and the FSM schematics, it is interesting to see how the switch seems to be the conduit for powering many of the fuses and circuit breakers as shown by the schematics.

Actually not too bad to access and was done without going through all of the machinations indicated by the FSM.

I still have a "no crank, no start" situation and I must say that using the schematics is a heck of a lot easier than getting to some of the components located "under the nstrument panel, left side of console"to test them. Fortunately there are connectors that give an opportunity to check current availability.

Thanks Jobe, for the patience!

Kingsley

Edited by Kingsley (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kingsley

I am now on a first name basis with all of the connectors/components under the dash, left side of console and have crank action through the ignition switch but it is only momentary 2/3 seconds and then stops. Definitely not a "crank no start" situation since it does not grind away.

Back at it this afternoon checking for fuel supply but something is causing the extremely short burst of crank power.

Diagnostics welcome.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com

Kingsley, The first check I would do is put the leads of your volt meter on the battery cable terminal bolts and then have someone engage the starter. If the voltage drops really low you could have a bad battery causing the problem. Otherwise I would check the battery cables, starter and starter solenoid for problems.