Paint or not to paint?

414TATA

Hello Gentlemen

The paint on my trunk lid has tiny bubbles all over which appear to have been there a long time.

(I would include a close up photo but I don't have access to the car for a few days)

I believe the paint to be original. There are a couple of spots on the roof that have primer showing.

I'm thinking of having just the trunk lid painted, but not sure this is a good idea on an all original car.

The color is black and I figure it will never be a perfect match. I would like to get rid of the bubbles but don't want a mis match job.:confused:post-78086-143142177464_thumb.jpg

Advice please.

Wayne

1941 Super 51

Nope. Live with it and take pleasure in explaining it's original paint, instead of trying to explain why color doesn't match.........and yes, black, although technically " a lack of color ", is one of the hardest colors...uh, non- color....to match..

Nope. Live with it and take pleasure in explaining it's original paint, instead of trying to explain why color doesn't match.........and yes, black, although technically " a lack of color ", is one of the hardest colors...uh, non- color....to match..

X2

It's only original once. After a restoration no one can tell whether you were paranoid with less than a perfect car or if you started with a basket case. If it's original, walk tall and be proud of it.

Guest BigDogDaddy

My '40 Buick was repainted in the early 70s when you could still get the original type of paint. Now the car looks like it has the original paint. I have some of the same paint issues that you have. I am not ready to do a full restoration on the car yet. Maybe when I retire. For now, I have a friend who owns a body shop, and he mixes up tiny amounts of paint and touches up and bare spots that pop up to keep the rust away. No one has ever had anything negative to say about the paint. Even people who aren't car savvy still think it is an original untouched car. The only original part of the car is the interior. Well, mechanically it is all original too.

Phil

Sounds like the trunk lid has been repainted some time in the past and it has humidity blisters in it.

One way to see if it has been resprayed in laquer is to put some laquer thinners on a rag and rub a small area that is hidden around the edge. If it is laquer, the paint will come off on the rag but if it is original baked finish it will not.

If it was original paint that was showing this problem you would expect to have the same thing in other areas of the car.

If it is bugging you and it sounds like it is, you should take it to a experienced auto painter and have a talk to them.

They should be able to match the color and finish so it would be near impossible to tell the difference.

Nice looking car by the way

Thanks guys for the opinions.

Maybe the trunk is a repaint. It is the only area of the car that has these bubbles. Although the color seems to be a perfect match to the body. I will post a photo when I can.

DavidAU I like your suggestions. Plan to follow up on both.

Wayne

Yes, we have some really talented folks out there, but....

Even the best painter using your original can of paint may not be able top EXACTLY match the lid to the rest of the car.

Such was the case when my father and I stripped his 1942 Chevy down to bare metal, sprayed primer, and block sanded until we felt it was virtually perfect, and then hand-rubbed until our 19 coats of black lacquer gave the old Chevy an exceptional appearance.

Some years later, a drunk in a Hudson rammed the Chevy's left-rear quarter. While the body repair was excellent, and the paint guy was one of the best around, and while we were using the SAME CAN OF PAINT for the repair, you could always see the difference....

Besides, it is only original once!

Keep it waxed and protected, or just make up your mind not to be as concerned with originality.

It is your car - you decide.

Guest Straight eight

I too had a 41 Super 4 door with paint problems on both the roof and trunk. The original brand paint was Rinshid-Mason Black. Otherwise known as RM brand paint. Just in case you decide to take some action, this is what you are looking for.

Yes, it is still available, but you gotta look.

If you decide to repaint, Try to use the original paint as Straight Eight suggested.

Find a painter who will see this as a challenge, and have him spray samples (at least 1' x 1') to see how closely he (or she) can match the texture and color of your trunk. You will have to pay for time and materials, but you can decide how much you like it.

Most true professionals are part artist, and will be as excited as you are about a "judges can't tell it from the original paint" finished product.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Several posts have stated, "IT WON'T MATCH IF YOU REPAINT", But it DOESN'T match the finish on the rest of the car now. My suggestion is YOU do what YOU feel is best for your needs.

Anyway you go it isn't going to match. Maybe you FLIP a coin, hehehe.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

Guest ole buick

My car is a 10 footer, same issues as you have. I just can't make myself sand off 72 year old paint even if it's failing. I figure it will get bad enough one day to paint and I'll paint it when I can't stand it any more.

Your car looks to good to paint in my humble opinion.