1935 Dodge KC 1/2 Ton (early model) Question

Guest warrantusn2001

Guest warrantusn2001

I have a 1935 Dodge KC 1/2 ton (early model) truck that my dad and I are restoring and the data plate and serial number plate are missing. Is there any other location that might be stamped with a body serial number? I do have the VIN from the registration in 1967.

Guest DodgeKCL

There were 2 plates on the firewall. The larger one had the serial number (VIN) on it and the GVW etc. A smaller one,somewhat oval in shape, had the body number. It would look like "B-1-0 LR 2432". The first letter and number are the body style.(In this case "flat faced cowl and chassis") The LR means "line registration" and the 4 digits following would be the sequential line number at the body factory. This information,as far as I know, is not reproduced anywhere on the truck body or frame. It is still available however from Chrysler Historical if you send in $25 and ask for a copy of your "build ticket". They will send you a photstat of the original and the body number is on it. As well as a lot of interesting info on your truck. The snail mail address is available on line.

Lot of good info and people on this and other forums. We have about a dozen Dodge trucks and many parts in the 34 range. Were happy to help you with any questions and parts. (Dodge KCL)post-78906-143142177196_thumb.jpg that responded has a wealth of info. I learned a lot lot from him in the last year that took him 20+ years to gain. Here is a picture of 1 of our trucks. It's a 1934 2 ton Dodge tow truck with a mechanical wheel lift and outriggers.

post-78906-143142177176_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142177186_thumb.jpg

Welcome new member!

Thank you very much. I've read a lot of the threads in this forum over the past few days before registering. Amazing tow truck man! I've been having a heck of a time trying to locate stock wheels.

Thank you very much. I've read a lot of the threads in this forum over the past few days before registering. Amazing tow truck man! I've been having a heck of a time trying to locate stock wheels.

How many do you need? Star like the tow truck or solid wheel? We like to see pictures of your truck.

Guest warrantusn2001

Thanks for the info, but what info about the truck do I need to send to get history? I have no information other than its an early model 1935 short wheel base

Guest DodgeKCL

I wasn't sure what you had but assumed you wanted the body number. The serial number or VIN,as it's called today, is stamped on the truck's frame usually on the left side somewhere around the rear spring shackle of the front left spring near the lower part of the frame face. It will indeed be an 8 million number or a 9 million number. I didn't have to prove I owned the truck when I sent in my $25 for my build ticket. But it appears because of the terrible problem getting an ownership (as we Canadins call it) in the U.S. for an antique when the original is lost, it appears people were sending in the money with any serial number they could think of and Chrysler Historical was sending back a build ticket copy which they were then using to obtain an ownership from their local D.O.T. All hell must of broken loose when the REAL owner of the serial number asked for a copy of HIS build ticket. There's a scam a minute going on out there. So you will have to have legit ownership papers with the actual serial number of your truck on it to obtain your build ticket from Chrysler.

Guest warrantusn2001

The registration from 1967 has P14354538 as the VIN and the Owner Certificate (California) from 1972 starts with DMV and is a state generated number. I should have looked for numbers on the frame before we had it powder coated, because I cannot see anything. I was trying to repopulate the Data plate and serial number plates for the truck. The original tags are gone.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it took a lot of scanning the frame but I found the serial number.[ATTACH=CONFIG]214802[/ATTACH]

Thanks for sharing. Maybe the trucks assembled in L.A. (on my truck) the vin is lactated on the passenger side rear, on (warrantusn2001) the drivers side front on the trucks assembled in Det. ??

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

This is the righteous number for your truck and is the same as having the VIN today. The "P" number might have been a Plymouth engine number but it has too many numbers. I don't know how much difficulty you will have with the U.S. DMV but I would change the title/ownership papers to show the 8055055 number as the real VIN. That way if the truck is ever stolen or lost in a fire, the frame will always reflect the real VIN. Up here you only have to go to a Notary Public and they have you swear out the change and you take that document to the M.O.T and they institute the change on the ownership. The Notary charges a fee for the service but I remember it was only $20 or so. Any other number, like the engine number, can be changed with an engine change.