Apprentice judging-signing up

ChazA

Attended judging school for first time at Reading Spring meet 2013. Would like to sign up for apprentice judging at Hershey. How do you sign up? This will only be my second time at Hershey with a car, so a newbie here. I will have a car there for First Preservation, so OK to apprentice judge at same time? Thanks!

Edited by ChazA
typo (see edit history)

Answer is yes. You must register to judge, pay the breakfast fee ($7.00 and can be done online) and attend the judging school. Leave a note on your windshield letting the judges know you are also judging and what classes in case they need to locate you. Good to give them permission to open doors and hood.

In addition, you can leave your judging sheet in the envelope on the dash, or front seat, of your vehicle with a Post-it note attached to the judging sheet with your cellphone number if you have one. When the interior judge or the Team Captain takes the judging sheet out of the envelope they will find the number. That way you are even easier to reach if the Team Captain has a question. I wouldn't recommend putting your cellphone number out on the windshield card where anyone walking by can use it.

Thank you Susan and Steve. I should be able to make judging school, but if I attended it in Spring '13 in Reading, not required to attend again, correct? I believe once per year is what Hulon said in Reading.

Do judges w/ cars just get their cars after the judges breakfast and drive them onto field? One last one :)..can my AACA Jr son go to the judges breakfast with me? I can't register him for it, and no need to eat ;)...but just checking.

Edited by ChazA
typo (see edit history)

You must attend a judging school in each calendar year to remain active. Reading was in 2012 not 2013. If you attending Gettysburg this year you are ok. Many judges put their cars on the field prior to breakfast but it is your option to do so after the breakfast as long as you are ready to begin your assignment on time. Sorry, the judges breakfast is only open to judges. Lastly, Susan's statement about using your cell as a method to be contacted is acceptable but your phone should be on vibrate. Using cell phones while judging is a breach of normal etiquette.

You must attend a judging school in each calendar year to remain active. Reading was in 2012 not 2013. If you attending Gettysburg this year you are ok. /QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info! Wasn't sure on prior to breakfast as the show field opens the same exact time as the judges breakfast starts, 7am.... and I didn't see any approximate end time on the breakfast, so thank you.

Yes, I meant I was at Spring 2013 Gettysburg Region judging school in Carlisle. Was also at Reading the year before...NY'er here just mixing up all the PA towns ;)

.....Lastly, Susan's statement about using your cell as a method to be contacted is acceptable but your phone should be on vibrate. Using cell phones while judging is a breach of normal etiquette.

Steve is correct. I am just so used to that being the rule that I didn't mention it but should have. I wanted to offer the option of leaving the number in the envelope and forgot to tell you to make sure your cellphone was on vibrate. Most Team Captains tell their judges that when they assemble to judge or at the breakfast table they remind them.

How old is your son?