1960 Tri Power

ellagee

This has probably been previously addressed on this forum, but being new to Pontiac, I want to convert my 1960 Bonneville 389 to a tri-power setup. Can anyone help with the correct intake manifold casting number and the correct carburetor models for the front , center and rear. Also is the complete linkage avaialable?

• 2 weeks later...

The carburetors are the same '59-'65, the linkage is being reproduced but you would be better off installing '64/'65 GTO linkage and fuel lines which is better and safer which is why the factory went that way (which is also reproduced). You will see all manner of tripower setups on Ebay and Craigslist but would be better off (trust me here) going to someone like Mike Wasson at Pontiactripower.com, or Jon Havens in the St. Louis area, and buying a turn key setup from one of them. They know what they are doing, do it right, and you can bolt what they send you on and drive with confidence. There are a couple of others who do excellent work and you might try the Performanceyears.com forum to find them. I work on these things too but am not looking for work. I have fixed a number of "deals" people acquired off of craigslist or where-ever where the carburetors were Chevys and not tripower, and/or the boosters were wrong and had incorrect air bleeds/idle jets in them, etc., etc. Believe me it will be worth your money to get your set from a known, reliable tripower expert. You will pay more at the outset perhaps but once bought you are done and good to go.

Sounds to me you want the CORRECT setup for your Bonneville and that means correct fuel lines, carburetors, linkage (including vacuum operated end carburetors) and manifold and air cleaner. Depending on which Tri Power engine there are different carburetors. There are three Tri-Power HP ratings for 1960, 318hp, 348hp and 363hp. I can give you all the carburetor #'s for all of them. There is only one Tri-Power intake manifold for 1960 and it has a different part # from 1959 ( besides the few aluminum ones that were made) and the part # is 536194 for 1960.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)