1955 rim/wheel cross reference needed

Guest 38buick55special

Guest 38buick55special

I am trying to find a rim easily available in a local junkyard. I know the 55 specials had a particular rim to fit the large center hub. Does anyone know of a late model rim (60's and up) that would fit on the 55? Trying to save a Buick but the guy won't sell the car with the rims and I fear the car will go to the crusher.

Edited by 38buick55special (see edit history)

55 Buick has a 5X5 bolt pattern. The hubs have a pin on them sort of like a lug bolt without threads that helps align the wheel while installing. You will need to find rims with a hole that matches this lug locator pin. Or the rear locator pins can be unbolted but the fronts will have to be cut and ground down.

Where are you? It would be good to find someone to either sell you the correct rims or possibly loan them if time is of the essence.

here is good reference table

The Rodding Roundtable - Tech - Bolt Patterns of Production Automobiles

• Like 1

For a 6" wide wheel 41-64 Buick works; for a 5.5" wheel 55-64 Buick works. Referring to what Lamar said about the locating pins, it is possible later wheels may work since back in the 1970's I bought a wheel from a Buick dealer that did not have the holes for the locating pins drilled. Other wheels may have the same bolt pattern, but the center hole may not be big enough.

Willie

The center hole in Buick's 15" wheels got smaller in '64. I don't know what year Buick switched from the lug bolt to the lug nut. What ever year that was would have been the last year that a locating pin hole would have been available. Keep looking, they're out there. Pick -n - pulls won't have them, they don't have anything that old and what they do have they weld together to make car stands. Find an older yard overcome with weeds and there's likely to be a pile of wheels out there somewhere.

Ed

Guest 38buick55special

I am located in New York City I am willing to drive a decent distance to get the rims. What if the located was ground down?? Couldn't you just drill a hole in the new rim?? Will any rims from a 60s chevy or Cadillac fit? This is a 4th project I am adding to my collection so money is tight but its the first Buick I've had. I really don't want to see the car get crushed.

Guest wildcat465

No go on the Chevys, small bolt pattern.

Caddys may work, Big Olds too bolt pattern wise.

Don't know about locating hole or the center hole size tho.

'64 big Buick wheels do still have large center hole.

ONE possible distinction, which might explain the need for the "locating pin" . . . "lug nut" wheels have a countersunk, tapered area surrounding the lug stud hole. This taper matches that of the lug nut, which centers and correctly positions the wheel on the lug studs. The locating dowel is there to keep the wheel centered as the lug bolts are tightened, thereby doing the same thing as the taper on the later "lug nut" wheels. More than just "an aid" in wheel installation! As a side note, unless there are multiple holes in the wheels for the alignment dowels to fit into, with just one, if you might "speed balance" the tires/wheels "on the car", where the particular relationship of the wheel assy and the brake drums can be critical for maintaining the balance of the entire wheel/tire/brake drum/axle shaft (where applicable) assembly and the previous "spin balance", that locating dowel can ensure that same relationship as long as the tires are not rotated from one location on the car to another. If the tires/wheels were balance "off the car", no problem with the balance changing when the tires are rotated to different locations on the car.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

• Like 1

Guest 38buick55special

What is the exact measurement on the center hub? There is a guy in New Jersey who may have a set of rims for me but I want to take the measurements myself to make sure.

Guest 38buick55special

Thank you all for your responses, I am going to jersey to look at these rims today or tomorrow (depending on how the day goes) does someone have the exact measurements and or a close up of the rims and guide pins?

Thank you all for your responses, I am going to jersey to look at these rims today or tomorrow (depending on how the day goes) does someone have the exact measurements and or a close up of the rims and guide pins?

Here's a picture of the wheel you need. The guide pin is on the brake drum of your car.

A couple of things to look for. The five slots and small holes - these are for the retention clips for the dog dish hubcaps. If the wheels you find have these clips and you don't need them, drill out the rivets and discard the clips. The face of the wheels is solid where it's welded to the rim; later models are only welded on in four places. This is a picture of the front of the rim. I don't have one of the back.

post-50017-143142175087_thumb.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

38 Buick; I checked the 55 chevy rims out in my other garage to my 55 Buick,they are completely different,sorry I mis- informed you,OLD TANK, and the other posts are correct,it has no locate post,and A smaller center hole,RIV NUT hit the nail on the head.Scratch my post. Good luck! Mark M

Here's a picture of the later 60's style wheels. Notice the lack of locating pin holes. You'll also notice that the wheel center is only welded to the rim in four places, the register hole is smaller, there are four holes for the bolt on wheel cover, and there are the relief dimples for the hub/brakedrum rivets.

post-50017-143142175491_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the rims from New Jersey were for a 5x5 pickup truck. Too bad they where nice.

Thanks for following up.

Also, it might help, in case someone has rims, that you include in your profile in the left column and/or in your signature where you are located.

I'm curious, why does the seller want to hang on to just the rims?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...