Autronic Eye...

nifty 6

Somebody on Ebay is selling an Autronic eye for a 1956 Olds for $800, link if permitted56 Oldsmobile GM Guide Autronic Eye Kit | eBay

He is also selling one for a 1955 Olds for $1000, link if permitted

55 Oldsmobile 88 98 Starfire GM Guide Autronic Eye Kit | eBay

Are these over priced?

I have a 1956 Olds, I also have a Autronic unit for a 1955 Olds, not sure if the 1955 would fit a 1956. So was thinking of selling the 1955 Autronic eye and buying the 1956 Autronic eye. So would anybody be interested in my 1955 Autronic eye, complete, pictures upon request. if interested

Thanks

Ron

If they are complete, cosmetically perfect, and working the price is a little on the high side even for NOS, but I have always found this seller to be a little high on his stuff.

Look close at the 55 box and you'll see a note on there about "safety padded panel". That tells me there may be some difference between one for a padded dash car vs a non-padded dash.

The "possible missing parts" disclaimer on the 56 unit scares me. This is one of those gadgets that has to have all of its components in order to work properly. You would also need the GuideMatic tester to set it up and aim it, and those aren't exactly common anymore. If all that's missing is the template to mount the Eye, you can work around that, but everything else HAS to be there.

Just keep in mind that if the 56 unit is missing parts, they may be tough to track down. I have two complete 1964 units I salvaged from clean dry cars as well as a stash of NOS relays etc, but I have installed neither of them. I fully intended to, but anymore the gadget is more trouble to install and set up than it's worth.

As has been pointed out, the '56 unit has a bunch of missing critical parts. What immediately jumps out as missing are the relay and the requisite dimmer switch. No, a normal dimmer switch does not work.

My kit for the 1955 has the relay and dimmer switch. I think most that are seen installed in cars probably don't work, just for show. When ever I see one in a car I would ask the owner if it worked and the reply usually is no. A lot to pay for something that doesn't work. The seller on Ebay looks to have the wrong template for the installation of the eye on the dash for the 1955. I asked him for the part number but after 2 weeks he still hasn't responded to my query.

• 2 weeks later...
As has been pointed out, the '56 unit has a bunch of missing critical parts. What immediately jumps out as missing are the relay and the requisite dimmer switch. No, a normal dimmer switch does not work.

I told the seller that he was some important parts, without them the unit would not work. Asked if he would lower the price? his answer was no, won't reduce the price because of some missing parts, Good luck to him...