Wiring Question

Taylormade

I started on the wiring today on my 1932 Dodge DL and immediately ran into a new problem. (Seems like there is one a day lately!) All of the wiring harness is neatly encased in a nicely made woven loom. Rhode Island Wiring has looms of different sizes, so I thought I would be alright. as usual, WRONG! The loom seems to have been woven OVER the wiring harness after it was put together. The problem is, where the loom joints off into smaller offshoot looms, the connection is woven together. It's these connections that have me baffled. How can I joint the two different loom sizes seamlessly as the factory did it. I have a feeling the answer is - I CAN'T!

In these pictures you can see how the various looms join together. I brought up the levels so you can see the pattern of the loom threads. Notice the loom actually expands in one area.

IMG_2489_zps7c3f9cb0.jpg

IMG_2487_zps8bd9f70f.jpg

IMG_2485_zps6340cd31.jpg

Where the loom branches off into a Y it looks like the two smaller looms may be jammed into the larger one. I don't know how much the loom will stretch, and I might be able to pull that off, but where the smaller loom comes out of the larger at about a 90 degree angle really has me stumped.

All the other harnesses I've done have had cloth tape wrapped around the harness. This is the first one with looms like this. Leave it to Dodge Brothers to give you a quality job in 1932 rather than saving a few pennies per wiring job. But it leaves me in a quandary. Any loom experts out there with a solution? I'd call Rhode Island wiring, but it's the holiday weekend and I doubt they have an answer other than taping up the joins.

A close appearance alternative is to wrap the branches with Gaffing Tape. Gaffing or Gaff Tape is a cloth based tape used extensively in the entertainment industry (used to tape cables to the floor during a film session, etc.). When purchasing, check the vendor's description carefully. Seems manufactures' like 3M offer a vinyl version which is not what I recommend for your wrapping problem. They seem to be available in 1/2 inch to 2 inch wide. Do a Google search. Super glue the last wrap to secure it from unraveling.

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

Thanks Friartuck. I actually write and direct videos, so I'm very familiar with gaff tape. I'm not sure how it would hold up under the elements. It's designed to peel away without leaving any sticky residue and I'm not really sure of its staying power. I'll run a few tests and see what happens as I have a roll of the cloth-based black tape handy.