Kissel 1918 Sedanette

That is a sight you don’t expect to see! And a first in the hobby that I am certain of. Well done.

Please comment on how difficult it is to swap tops, and do you ever plan on installing the hard top ever again. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, edinmass said:

That is a sight you don’t expect to see! And a first in the hobby that I am certain of. Well done.

Please comment on how difficult it is to swap tops, and do you ever plan on installing the hard top ever again. 

period advertisements say that two men in two hours can swap the tops. That is BS. It takes three men to safely lift the heavy carved oak top and several hours to correctly switch and remove the anchorages and top parts. You could possibly do it in two hours if you don’t worry about damage.

• Like 2

I've been following your Kissel restorations with awe and envy. Your fabrication and restoration skills are truly amazing.

That's a great idea to display both tops with the sedanette, but I admit something else popped into my head when I first saw it !

horse drawn hearse.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.H.Boland said:

I've been following your Kissel restorations with awe and envy. Your fabrication and restoration skills are truly amazing.

That's a great idea to display both tops with the sedanette, but I admit something else popped into my head when I first saw it !

horse drawn hearse.jpg

It was probably the curtains that give it the funeral wagon look.

• Like 1

Alsancle- 

Wow. Awfully close but not same. Your pictured car has a second intermediate cowl, different rear body trunk area, and no door handles. Also doors are more rounded. Those characteristics differ from my car. But otherwise she is really very similar!

Wonder what make she is? 
    Ron

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

All - finally got to exhibit our 1918 Kissel Sedanlette at the 2021 Concours de ‘Elegance at St John’s this Sunday. Here are a couple of pictures. Sighting on the golf course was cancelled due to heavy rains the night before, so show too place on the Inn parking lots.

ron Hausmann 

5894CAED-AC92-4CE9-B809-12EF1944219A.jpeg

F596F6B2-DD39-4687-8A0F-60E6420B198C.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very nice display........have never seen any pre war car with removable hardtop displayed like that on a show field. How was the show with the jump to pavement........makes sense and better than a mud bog. Did it work out ok considering the circumstances? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2021 at 7:50 AM, edinmass said:

Ed -

Period advertisements by Kissel indicated that two men could easily switch the convertible to its hard top configuration in two hours. That is BS.
    Here’s the process. It takes two men about an hour to remove the windshield, siderail caps, convertible top, and doors. Doors must be removed to attach the hard top. Then it takes three men to safely lift the hard top (or four to be really careful). Then It takes every bit of two men an hour to attach the top, assemble both halves of the doors, and reinstall the completed doors. All need to be within a sixteenth of an inch! Three or four men in three hours maybe can do it. 
   I may re mount the top in some future time. But not now since I have that meat trailer.

Ron Hausmann 

• Like 1