ron hausmann

Kissel 1918 Sedanette

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:42 AM, ron hausmann said:

Mike ,

Not a silly question.

The aluminum panel trim strips are L-shaped. The hidden sides that surround the panels are flat and drilled and countersunk for small trim screws to anchor each piece to the sides.

lot of work.

Thanks, Ron

My 1918 McLaughlin is done the same way. Probably a reasonably standard technique in this era.

Greg

• Like 1

Does the top have any rips in it?  If not, any chance of just cleaning the inside?  How fragile is it?  It looks to be in amazing shape from the exterior, but old and dirty on the inside.  Would be a shame to replace something that original, but I do see how the inside would not work with the rest of the car being perfect.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hursst said:

Does the top have any rips in it?  If not, any chance of just cleaning the inside?  How fragile is it?  It looks to be in amazing shape from the exterior, but old and dirty on the inside.  Would be a shame to replace something that original, but I do see how the inside would not work with the rest of the car being perfect.  

Hursst -

The top has a few aging ares and some rips, although I don’t know from what. The inside fabric is starting to discolor unevenly but the real problem is the cotton(?) stitching. It’s turned to dust. When unpacking, I pulled on a couple stitched pieces and they deteriorated in my hand. I believe all of the interior stitching is bad. Just due to age and humidity.

Besides all that, my wife wants a cognac colored fabric top to compliment the blueish body. And since Kissel colors wet “optional” for $20 back then, why not do the bling thing? 

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 4

New convertible top has been mounted on a jig and stretched out to check dimensions and plan for proper Kissel Sedanlette “wondowlettes” on the side. I’m just beside myself that this top was located and available! 

Ron

3221A9CD-3BCE-42FB-BC7F-0406584D1541.jpeg

2D26B29E-94A1-4A49-ADAF-B3B9BD2504BE.jpeg

6EF37792-D85B-4221-AD73-FECAA37E90BE.jpeg

01869072-F8F3-4133-B761-05E2077B0AB4.jpeg

• Like 2

All - am fitting patterns for Kissel Sedanlette “windowlettes” or side panels as shown. Using pictures to get proportions correct. Still need to locate correct oval metal portholes or substitutes.

Ron

C8135206-DF0F-4992-A1C9-7F7DE9B6C542.jpeg

3E39E1DF-939E-4FC2-9EA6-138928719AA8.jpeg

6F03497B-3EC2-4E2B-8BFF-34CC6C2FAA77.jpeg

• Like 1

All - as of beginning of June, 2019, have delivered the car and top to Mark Larder in Homer Michigan for upholstery and recovering convertible top. Convertible top will be a dark ruby red exterior and black top interior. Interior upholstery and walls must be grai Ed leather to be correct as it was an open Kissel. Found excellent black leather hides at Detroit Leather / Reed. I’ll recommend them if you ever need true old style tanned and dyed leather bulk hides.

Here are pictures of refinishing the convertible top hardware and top sockets after having stripped the old fabric.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

9715BB94-3A77-4C37-AD17-6D082E901EF5.jpeg

E012FDF1-4EA6-4A99-BC13-6BC92A4B364D.jpeg

• Like 3

All -

I have the now car in Homer, Michigan being upholstered by expert Mark Larder. see his picture below.

I also bought a small industrial cart upon which I will place the black removeable hard top when I display the car with BOTH tops at Concours and shows. I plan on doing the Concours circuit next year with it, showing it with its wonderful convertible top on it with this cart with the black hard top next to it. I had to build a framework on this cart to hold the wood hardtop for transport to exact dimensions. Should be very informative and elegant.

Ill spend this winter before next years' shows dressing it up with curtains and an obligatory spotlight.

Thanks, RON HAUSMANN P.E. 

upholstery.jpg

9. 1918 Kissel Sedanette Brochure.JPG

IMG_1153[41154].jpg

IMG_1155[41185].jpg

IMG_1171[41220].jpg

• Like 1

Ron, that is one  beautiful Kissel.  That is a terrific idea wanting to show the two tops. Thanks for sharing your this great restoration with us. I also hope you let us know what shows you will be taking the Kissel to.. I would love to see the car in person. John

All - right now, and subject to being invited,  it looks like we will display the car at the Kissel Reunion, at the Wisconsin Automotive Museum in June, the “Eyes on Design” Concours in Grosse Point, Michigan in June, and the St. John’s Concours De Elegance in July. I will have four of our Kissels at the Wisconsin Auto Museum one including this car.

thanks, Ron